Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome Daily Lottery

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome Daily Lottery

Postby BikeRunBackpack » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:15 am

Hi everyone,

Wanted to ask if anyone knew of the chances of getting a daily lottery for a Half Dome permit the last weekend the cables are up. I'm planning on arriving in Yosemite early Friday morning, Oct 10th and would like to do Half Dome either Friday or Saturday. Also, do you think there will be spots left to camp at Camp 4 if I arrive no later than 10am on Friday morning?

Thanks!
BikeRunBackpack
Regular
Regular

Re: Half Dome Daily Lottery

Postby balzaccom » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:24 am

I have no idea---but can only guess that your odds would be better even one day before that. Hikers tend to focus on deadlines and there will be a group of people who realize, as you have done, that this is their last chance this year.

The dome will be there next year, though.

And if you DON"T get a permit, just drive up to Tenaya Lake and take the Sunrise trailhead to Clouds Rest. It's a mile shorter than Half Dome, and has much better views--including the view from the top which captures the whole Sierra crest and the top of Half Dome, which you will be looking DOWN on.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby BikeRunBackpack » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks for the recommendation! We'll look into that hike. ;)
BikeRunBackpack
Regular
Regular

Postby BikeRunBackpack » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Well I guess it doesn't matter anymore. The two people that were going to go with me have backed out. :(
BikeRunBackpack
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:40 am

Go solo!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby BikeRunBackpack » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:06 am

If I get the permit, I'm going to have to! My friends and family don't want me to go alone, though. I'm a single female who tends to sprain ankles during hikes, so may be a bit dangerous for me to go alone. But doing Half Dome would be epic!!
BikeRunBackpack
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:42 pm

I'm pretty sure that as long as the cables are up no one goes alone... You'll make new friends along the way.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby HalfDomeFlyer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Planning a hike Oct 7, 2 spots (waiting on daily permit results). Anyone going to hike the same day? (I've been up 7 times). Will keep trying all week if permit fails.
HalfDomeFlyer
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking