Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Summer 2015 Trip Guidance

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Summer 2015 Trip Guidance

Postby arondelg » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:34 pm

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip for summer 2015. We're in our early twenties and would consider ourselves fit, collegiate athletes and have run marathons since then. That being said, we don't have a lot of hiking experience. We are in PA and do plan on some weekend hikes on the Appalachian Trail before we go out West. Any insight/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Originally we were planning for mid-June, but after researching it looks like snow/colder temps. than we would like might be a problem. Would late June/July be a better option?

This is the itinerary we have planned, with travel to/from San Fran tacked on the ends. Does it seem manageable/sensible? Would any other permits be necessary?

Day 1: Glacier point -> Little Yosemite Valley via Panorama Trail and JMT (8.5mi)
-wilderness permit trailhead 3A Glacier Point
Day 2: Little Yosemite Valley -> Half Dome -> Little Yosemite Valley (~8mi)
-half dome permit
Day 3: Little Yosemite Valley -> Yosemite Valley -> Glacier Point via 4 Mile Trail (8.7mi),
drive to TBD campground in valley (~1 hour drive)
Day 4: Yosemite Valley: down day
Day 5: Drive to Tenaya Lake (~1.25 hour) -> Tenaya Lake -> Clouds Rest (7mi)
-wilderness permit trailhead 19 Sunrise lakes
Day 6: Clouds Rest -> Tenaya Lake -> drive Tuolome Meadows
Day 7: Tuolome Meadow (camping available)-> Cathedral lakes (8mi round trip) -> Tuolome Meadows
Day 8: Tuolome Meadows: sequoia

Thanks in advance!
arondelg
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Summer 2015 Trip Guidance

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Actually, your first stop on each day you start to backpack, you will be going first to the wilderness office to pick up the actual permit. For Sunrise you will want to try to reserve a permit; it's one of the more popular starting points. In fact, you'll also want to reserve Glacier Point as it gets filled with frustrated folks who didn't get Happy Isles. The page on the Yosemite website about wilderness permits will have instructions on when and how to do this. If you have a reserved permit you can pick it up anywhere permits are available - at the western entrance to the park, at the wilderness office in the valley, at the wawona wilderness office. If you are trying to walk in, you MUST be in the main Yosemite valley office to get a Glacier Point permit, and you MUST go all the way to Tuolumne Meadows for a permit for Sunrise. Very early in the morning, to get in line. I say "must" because priority is given to people in line at the office which is given priority over the region it's in. Popular trailheads go first. Any trailhead for any trail pointed in the direction of Half Dome, within a day or two radius, will be in demand. Coming such a long distance, you'll be wanting to have the certainty of a reservation. And, the walk in permits for a given date are made availabe at 11 am on the day BEFORE - so for a hike you want to start on June 20, you want to get there and be in line on June 19. Starting on the wrong day ie the day before, invalidates your permit. This is one thing that the park is a stickler for, and people are so determined to go sometimes they'll risk the fine and being walked back out of the wilderness by going without a permit....

If this is a good snow year, which hopefully will be so, June will be the height of the mosquito season. August would be a better bet if you wish to avoid mossies entirely. Or, a headnet, DEET and a shelter with bug netting plus the acceptance that you'll just get bit some of the time. There are some reasons for going early - the waterfalls typically are at peak flow in May and June.

I am not sure what the last date "Tuolumne Meadows: sequoia" means. There are no sequoias in that area. You may mean the Tuolumne Grove, near Crane Flat on the way out of the park.

Don't forget you will need to get all your food in bear canisters. Here is a primer on what's necessary. http://www.sierrawild.gov/bears/how-pack-bear-can

A good resource for recipes that go in ziploc bags: trailcooking.com
For mail order bear cans you can get in advance and practice packing: wild-ideas.net (also the lightest can for the volume, and the largest model is the largest available canister approved by the park)

For trips of the durations you list I would be using my smallest can, the Bare Boxer, but i have lots of practice packing it.

I'm curious why you wouldn't plan a single trip from Glacier Point, to LYV, day hike Half Dome, camp at Sunrise Creek and day hike Clouds Rest, camp at Cathedral or Sunrise Lakes, and hike out to Tuolumne Meadows. You can then catch the YARTS back to the Yosemite Valley floor at Curry and then walk to your car. Or, you can take YARTS or the hiker bus up to Tuolumne and start there - take the Tuolumne Meadows free shuttle to the trailhead of choice and hike the other direction back to the car. That would start at higher elevation, but involve a lot less climbing up steeply with a backpack.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:18 am

Personal opinion... this is a lot of logistics for two days worth of day hikes. Personally, I would abandon Half Dome, with Clouds Rest in the plan, and I get the want for Half Dome and Cloud's Rest.
But these are obtainable via day hiking without hoofing a 25+lb(as newbies, I would suspect it is closer to 35lbs) pack up 3000+ feet. and back down. I would still consider mid-late June, but wouldn't get too excited until February when we have a much better idea of the snow level. But definitely with AlmostThere mosquitoes in June/July can be horrendous.
Again personal opinion, if you insist on Half Dome do it the first day, goof off around the Valley/Glacier Point.
The next day head off to May lake and camp, do Mt. Hoffman, the next day drive down to Sunrise and do Cloud's Rest.
One more night at May.
Next morning head down to Glen Aulin, setup camp, then head down to LeConte Falls.
Back up to Glen Aulin and then out.
I did not try to figure out how many days you are in the park, as I feel you itinerary for a first time is simply too complex.
This takes in some of the best the park has to offer, high mountain peaks, and an incredible hike down an absolutely gorgeous river canyon to some very unusual waterfalls.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Nice to see AlmostThere and Grizldvt hanging out here!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:06 am

Popped in, because I am planning a big trip for several people, and was checking to see if a certain area had become really crowded. Spotted this one and responded. Don't see a response from the OP yet.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking