Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

July 2015 Trip & Thoughts

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

July 2015 Trip & Thoughts

Postby Board001 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:14 pm

Happy New Year Everyone,
I am new to this board and I am planning our summer trip to Yosemite. My wife and I are experienced backpackers, we complete several multi-night trips per year. My longest trip has been 12 days in the Rockies of New Mexico.

We are planing to go to Yosemite this July and complete the route highlighted in Backpacker magazine as the "North Rim" 4 day trek. This trek begins at the Old Big Oak Flat Road Trail with camping the first night at/near Cascade Creek. Day 2 is a 12mile day linking with the North Rim trail and ending with camp near Yosemite Falls. Day 3 appears to be 8-9 miles ending at campsite near Snow Creek trail with great views of Half Dome. Day 4 looks like a knee buster with 100-plus switchbacks into Tenaya Canyon then on pass Mirror Lake. I understand there is a pick up for a free park shuttle to get back to your car.

My plan is to arrive July 22nd or 23rd. Couple of questions... What will water access be like at this time? Bugs/mosquitos, how are they this time of year? Backpacker magazine is not clear on permit needed; am I looking for a Old Big Oak Flat Road permit or a "Rockslides" trailhead permit?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
A
Board001

Re: July 2015 Trip & Thoughts

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:43 am

Unless you like boulder hopping with a backpack, the Rockslides trailhead should be avoided. It's also unmarked and information online tells you to look for a milepost - Yosemite has since changed the mileposts, apparently, since that particular advice in a trip report I found was wrong. The "trail" is the old road to Crane Flat and there is a vast boulder field covering it for one long exposed stretch. It will not be terribly hard to get Old Big Oak Flat, and you should start as early in the morning as is practical if you don't like hiking in the full sun, since the first mile or so is not in the trees.

Water sources and such are dependent entirely on the snow pack in winter. Last year, a lot of the creeks were dry. This year it is looking hopeful but prognosis is guarded - we need more snow and rain! In a normal year, mosquitoes start in late May and persist sometimes until August with the worst time being in June - July. DEET and a headnet are about the only thing that saves me.

How many mosquitoes depends on how much water there is standing around in meadows. Last year there were hardly any.

Get the reservation five months in advance - then call a few days before you go and check on water. That's all anyone can do. Can't even begin to guess what storms are lurking for the next few months. You can also do walk ins for a different trailhead the day before your departure if you're in the park before you're supposed to start, if you decide to change plans. With 1-2 people walk ins are fairly easy, as lots of permits are abandoned after they are reserved.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking