Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

3-4 night hike starting from Sunrise Lakes Trailhead in June

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

3-4 night hike starting from Sunrise Lakes Trailhead in June

Postby half dumb » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:45 pm

Hello everyone,

Been doing some research for an upcoming trip in early June and found this forum. I figured I'd register and post our planned itinerary and get some feedback from more experienced hikers here. I'll be heading to Yosemite for a friend's wedding, arriving in California on June 4th with the wedding on June 5th. I grew up in the mountains of New Mexico but have been living in Houston for several years now so the elevation is a significant concern since I am used to near sea level now. However we'll be spending a couple of days out there for the wedding before we do any hiking so that should help acclimate us. I have done some multi-day backpacking trips in Washington state and in Maine as well, but I would be hesitant to call myself an "experienced" hiker. I am no beginner either though. We already applied for our wilderness permit and it was approved, including our half dome request. Here is our itinerary:

Day 1: Start at Sunrise Lakes trailhead near Tenaya Lake. Hike to and then camp at Sunrise Lakes.
Day 2: Hike over Clouds Rest and camp as close to half dome as we can. Little Yosemite Valley campsite?
Day 3: Hike up and down half dome without our heavy packs and camp at the same spot as the previous night or perhaps push on to a spot further down the Merced River for a change of scenery. Too much in one day to press further along the river?
Day 4: Hike out to the Happy Isles trailhead to see the sights down the Mist Trail

We actually have a 4 night permit approval so we have a somewhat flexible itinerary. Our only real constraints is that we have to hike into Sunrise Lakes trailhead and out Happy Isles. Also, we really want to do half dome and clouds rest.

I realize that we should not be expecting solitude out there since these are some of the most crowded trail option in the entire park. However, being from Houston just getting out into nature at all is a treat. I can put up with some crowds. Plus, by camping hear Half Dome and getting an early start we hope to beat the crowd of day hikers and the majority of the line at the cables. Any feedback on this itinerary is much appreciated.

Also, some followup questions:
1. How bad are mosquitoes in early June?
2. Did last year's fire significantly affect major portions of our route?
3. Regulations say fires are only allowed in pre-existing fire rings. Are there any of these at Sunrise Lakes? Not the sierra campground, but near the actual lakes so we dont have to backtrack as far on day 2.
4. I am most concerned about the length of day 2 from Sunrise Lakes up and over clouds rest and down to LYV campground. I think this will be a tough day but doable.
5. We will have two rental cars between the two of us. How should we plan parking? Leave one car down in the valley and park the other at the Sunrise trailhead? Park both in the valley and take a shuttle to the Sunrise trailhead (is there one)?
6. For the half dome dayhike, we'd like to leave our heavy packs behind. Is there a place to do this at the LYV campground, or are we going to have to hide them in the woods somewhere along the trail and hope for the best?

Any other advice or words or warning? Thank you!
half dumb

Re: 3-4 night hike starting from Sunrise Lakes Trailhead in

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:26 am

Did you get the Half Dome permit on your wilderness permit?

The mosquitoes depend on the rain and snowmelt - how bad they are will be determined by the weather between now and then. In a wet year they can be ferocious. This is not shaping up to be even a normal year - they won't be as bad as they have been, but they might be worse than they were last year. Which is as good as I can do today....

Last year's fire probably did, but the area is not a wasteland. You'll be fine if you avoid parking tents under dead trees.

I am sure there are many, many fire rings - Yosemite has a crew of people devoted to removing illegal fire rings. What will possibly throw a kink in plans would be that the area around a High Sierra camp is typically a no camping zone. You'll be expected to stay in the backpacker campsites at the camp. They have legal fire rings and shared bear lockers.

There is a hiker bus and a YARTS bus (yosemitepark.com and yarts.com) to get you from the valley to the trailhead, if you so choose. Both cost money. YARTS is cash on hand, no reservations. The hiker bus is reservable. Or you can leave a car at Sunrise - just make sure it's cleaned out thoroughly without food or trash.

People leave camp set up in LYV to do the dayhike all the time. I would put pack and all kitchen gear and food in the bear locker, and leave the rest set up. Don't leave packs lying around in the woods. There are bears that know what a pack is and will tear into it looking for food, whether it contains any or not.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:40 am

A few thoughts:

Early June is really early for the Yosemite high country. If we get our "usual" amount of snow, there will be snow on Cloud's Rest and possibly Half Dome--possibly enough to dissuade you from climbing them. The snowiest stretch will probably be the approach to Cloud's Rest, which is forested and doesn't get any afternoon sun. It's also the highest part of your route.

Mosquitoes will probably be bad. I hope they will be bad. If they're not bad, it's because we won't have received enough rain to matter. And that's a much bigger problem than mosquitoes! To avoid them, camp farther from lakes, streams, and grassy areas. Look for exposed ridges with a nice breeze. But if we do get even a decent amount of snow, the crossing of Tenaya Creek below the lake will be a bit of an adventure. Be prepared for icy water, and maybe up as high as your waist. Brrr. Generally the current isn't a problem there. If you can see a substantial current, the creek may be too high to cross. But the Wilderness rangers will address this when you pick up your permit.

The big fires last year were lower in the foothills. There was a fire that burned an area mainly South of the Merced River, and your trip is North of the river.

You will not have a problem finding a fire ring. Note that rings close any lake, even if they are pre-existing, are illegal. You have to be at least 100 feet from a lake to have legal campsite. 200 feet is better.

The hike from Sunrise to Cloud's Rest is perfectly doable, and it's all downhill from there to LYV. I don't think that will be hard day. Have lunch on top of Cloud's Rest and enjoy one of the great views in Yosemite.

I would drive to Sunrise and leave a car there. That would also allow you to get an early (or later!) start. Using the bus makes you depend on the schedule...It's at least an hour from the Valley to Tenaya Lake/Sunrise trailhead, and if you have time, it's worth driving a bit more around Tenaya Lake and Tuolumne Meadows. Beautiful country.

As AT noted, do not leave a pack unattended in the back country. Better to leave it in a tent, where it is not visible to animals. Put all food (and other smelly items) in the nearby bear boxes. Do NOT put your packs in the bear boxes. This is specifically prohibited, because it fills up the boxes too quickly.

Should be a great trip!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby half dumb » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks for all of the answers! Yes, we got our Half Dome permit approved with our wilderness permit. From the videos I have seen there will definitely be quite a bit of snow still on Clouds Rest and Half Dome but it still looks doable. I have another followup question. The first two nights we will be staying at the Yosemite Lodge for the wedding. We will have extra luggage for all of the wedding clothes and non-hiking gear. Is there anywhere in the Valley we can store our luggage while we go out on the hiking expedition? I definitely don't want to leave it in the parked car for 4 nights. Is there a luggage storage place anywhere in the valley we can pay to store our bags while we are out hiking?
half dumb

Postby robow8 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:45 am

Your luggage should be okay in the trunk of your car, as long as you take out any smellables and store them in a bear box. I got a tag at Curry Village and put it on our small ice chest so they knew that it wasn't abandoned. Since you're staying at the Lodge, why not ask them if they can store your luggage?
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking