Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Please recommend a 3 day trip in May

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Please recommend a 3 day trip in May

Postby bob13bob » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:05 am

I've backpacked Yosemite once before as a kid (3 day trip). Can any one suggest some routes I can start requesting permits for (or should I try the day before thing). Is Memorial Day weekend out of the question? I've already searched for May recommendations in this forum using the built in tool and google site search to no results. Thanks.

I have 0 degree bags but prefer to have to deal with anything past light snow.
bob13bob

Re: Please recommend a 3 day trip in May

Postby Grzldvt » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:12 am

Hetch Hetchy or Wawona may be your best bet. It really depends on what happens over the next few months for rain and snow. In normal precipitation years the back country is closed due to snow in May. Tioga/Glacier Point Roads aren't open, making it difficult to get into the areas, henceforth the lack of May trips. In one high snow year, we went to Chilianualna Falls, setup a base camp and day hiked. Same deal goes for Hetch Hetchy, head out to Rancheria Falls and then go for day hikes out of the area.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bob13bob » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Oh, that's a bummer. this site claims May June to be the best times to go. http://yosemitefun.com/yosemite_best_time_to_visit.htm

edit: just noticed that site is yosemite general visitor info. Not backpacking specific.
bob13bob

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:50 pm

If not for the drought, May would be too early. As it is you will likely get the brunt of the mosquitos that typically fill the air in spring. Last year, it was snowing in April but melted off fairly quickly. The snow currently in the mountains got a bit of a recharge the past couple of days, but not nearly enough. I won't lie - I want it to come down thick, many feet of snow, because water rationing is the next step and produce prices will go UP all over.

However - you can start from either of the mentioned trailheads, or from Happy Isles, and have a fine lower elevation trip regardless. The quota period is May through October - the full trailheads list here: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm will be of use if you are hoping to reserve a permit in advance. If the snow melts and Glacier Point Road opens early, you would be able to use the Ostrander trailhead - a three day would allow a layover day at Ostrander to explore the area. Climbing Horse Ridge and wandering to the other end is a neat thing to do. The lakes might have a little ice left in them.

Memorial Day weekend will be slammed. I would get a permit from Sierra National Forest - Oakhurst office and drive out the bumpy road to Quartz Mountain trailhead, or Norris trailhead, and head to some lakes out thataway where the tourists don't tend to stampede. Get maps for roads and for the trails.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking