Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

need help planning - suggested hikes/campgrounds

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

need help planning - suggested hikes/campgrounds

Postby betsyfree » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:09 pm

hello! Doing a 7 day backcountry hike in July (southwestern section). I'm arriving in Yosemite on the 9th of July around noon or so (flying into fresno). I don't have to meet my group until July 11th in the late afternoon. So I'm wondering if someone familiar with the area could plan a couple of days for me? I'll have 1/2 of July 9 to hike, need a campground the night of the 9th, then can spend all day hiking on the 10th, need campground the night of the 10th, then I'll have until late afternoon to hike on the 11th. Of course I want to see as much as possible, do as much hiking as possible, and have as little driving as possible during those times (I'll have a car). Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
betsyfree
First-timer
First-timer

Re: need help planning - suggested hikes/campgrounds

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:22 pm

You should probably reserve a campsite if you absolutely want to stay in the park. Recreation.gov is the place to go. Since reservations are available five months in advance, it might be hard to do for July if you wait much longer.

As for hikes, they are all good. Most of the ones from the valley floor go pretty steeply uphill, but all have good views. A good map can be found in the wilderness office or at the gift stores. You can read about the trails at yosemitehikes.com
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking