Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

July Hike Planning Help?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

July Hike Planning Help?

Postby forestplay » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:12 pm

I have a wilderness permit for a mid-July hike from Tuolumne Meadows to the valley (Lyell Canyon to Happy Isles). I'm not new to backpacking but I am new to Yosemite (most of my backpacking has been in KC/Sequoia). Since half my crew is in Spokane and the other half is in the SF bay area, I've been putting some plans together on Google docs.

Anyone want to look over what I've put together for suggestions and constructive criticism?

Over 5 days, we are going from Lyell Canyon TH -> Vogelsang -> Merced -> LYV -> Half Dome & Happy Isles

Here's our schedule.

A trip intro I wrote to get everyone on the same page.

Also here's our packing lists.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Bob
forestplay
Regular
Regular

Re: July Hike Planning Help?

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:01 pm

My thoughts:

Schedule: Why not start the trip by driving to Tuolumne Meadows and park the car there? It would give you a lot more flexibility at the start of the hike, when you may need to make trip for something you forgot...Then you can camp in Yosemite Valley on the last night, take the morning shuttle up to your car, and be on your way.

Letter: I would never suggest to anyone that if they need help in the backcountry they can wait by the trail and expect a solution. My experience is that other hikers may or may not be willing to cancel/postpone their trip for your problems, and may or may not be competent to help you at all. It would be better to simply say that you are going to be careful, have fun, and not run any risks of major injury.

Gear: I think you are taking too many clothes. We take one shirt to hike in, one to sleep in, a rain shell, and something warm, either fleece or down depending on the forecast and elevation. If it gets cold, you put it all on. If you're still cold, you get into your sleeping bag. You don't need that many shirts and pants.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby forestplay » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Thanks for the great feedback!
balzaccom wrote:My thoughts:

Schedule: Why not start the trip by driving to Tuolumne Meadows and park the car there? It would give you a lot more flexibility at the start of the hike, when you may need to make trip for something you forgot...Then you can camp in Yosemite Valley on the last night, take the morning shuttle up to your car, and be on your way.

Yes, you have a point. Is it six of one or half a dozen?

If we forget something in the car or need to drive to get something the morning we plan to depart the TH, then having the car nearby is certainly an advantage. As with most things, there is a disadvantage too. That is, on our last day, we have to bus to Tuolumne then drive to Oak Flat before we start home.

Is there any advantage to parking at either location? I'm thinking of human theives. The bears are a risk at either locations.

Maybe this is not a big deal, but since I've never done it, anyone else have a thought? Which would you choose? (not balzaccom, he's already said what he would do)

balzaccom wrote:Letter: I would never suggest to anyone that if they need help in the backcountry they can wait by the trail and expect a solution. My experience is that other hikers may or may not be willing to cancel/postpone their trip for your problems, and may or may not be competent to help you at all. It would be better to simply say that you are going to be careful, have fun, and not run any risks of major injury.

You are most certainly right on this. I'm just saying we don't need to bring everything for every possible scenario. I could word this better.

balzaccom wrote:Gear: I think you are taking too many clothes. We take one shirt to hike in, one to sleep in, a rain shell, and something warm, either fleece or down depending on the forecast and elevation. If it gets cold, you put it all on. If you're still cold, you get into your sleeping bag. You don't need that many shirts and pants.

After reading your comment, I took a critical look at my list and reduced it by a bunch, making most of the packed clothes optional. This is very useful feedback. Thank you.

-Bob
forestplay
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:35 am

The hikers shuttle bus to Tuolumne Meadows leaves at 8 am every day, It's not a continuous service. To me it makes more sense to try to catch that bus at the end of the hike, when you are camped near it's departure point, rather than trying to catch it on the first day of your trip

I also think that the bus takes longer than it takes to drive your car, so if you are in a hurry to get to Tuolumne Meadows, take your car. But that's just me.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby forestplay » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:42 pm

balzaccom wrote:The hikers shuttle bus to Tuolumne Meadows leaves at 8 am every day, It's not a continuous service. To me it makes more sense to try to catch that bus at the end of the hike, when you are camped near it's departure point, rather than trying to catch it on the first day of your trip

I appreciate this recommendation. This is my new plan based on what you told me:

Thu
Drive to Yosemite Valley
Get wilderness permit and do some sight seeing in the valley
Drive to Tuolumne
Camp in backpacker's camp

Fri
Depart on Lyell Canyon TH

Tue
From LYV hike to Half Dome
End hike at Happy Isles
Overnight at Yosemite Valley backpackers camp

Wed
Shuttle to Tuolumne (8:00am@Curry Village stop #13b)
Drive home

As I think about it, what I like is that we don't have a hard deadline to arrive at Tuolumne on Thursday. We can drive there whenever we want.

Thanks!
-Bob
forestplay
Regular
Regular

Postby Dave_Ayers » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:58 am

This part of the plan seems odd to me:
Drive to Yosemite Valley
Get wilderness permit and do some sight seeing in the valley
Drive to Tuolumne

Seems like extra driving to me. Why not just drive directly to Tuolumne? It saves ~2 hours of driving and there is plenty of sightseeing to be had along the drive to TM (Olmsted Point, Tenaya Lake, etc.). You can spend time visiting the Valley after the hike.

You can pick up a reserved permit at the Big Oak Flat entrance station or at Tuolumne Meadows, you don't need to go to the Valley for that. A non-reserved permit gets priority at Tuolumne Meadows Ranger station.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking