Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

June trip advice needed GC of Tuolumne

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

June trip advice needed GC of Tuolumne

Postby Pack Dad » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:53 pm

We are planning a late June, a five to six night trip, have permit to start at White Wolf. Plan would be first night in Pate Valley (per our permit). I understand this is about 11 miles on a fairly steep descent. I have several concerns and would really appreciate some advice.
1. A buddy just sent me pics from the main Yosemite valley, it appears there is very little to no snow at the higher elevations. Of course no one can predict the weather, but what would be your best guess at this juncture about the water scene come late June? Water source along the WW to Pate leg?
2. Snakes! Normally I'm only ever consumed with thoughts of bears but, now I'm obsessed with the thought of rattlers. We're hiking with our two experienced kids, ages 11 and 13. They love to lead and explore. The older one (the girl) is pretty cautious with her step, but the boy is, well, an 11 yr old boy. Am I insane to bring them down to this apparent snake pit?
3. Are there campsites along the river between Pate and Tuolumne ranging 4-5 miles apart? With the kids, one can never predict how far we can get in a day but based on years past, uphill travel, I'd not count on more than 5.

Although we have this trip permitted, we're keeping our options open.

Thanks in advance!
Rick
Pack Dad

Re: June trip advice needed GC of Tuolumne

Postby Dave_Ayers » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Water: there will be water in Morrison Creek in July and the trail goes near and/or crosses it several times so you don't have to carry for the whole first day. Note that Harden Lake isn't much more than a puddle these days.

Snakes: I certainly wouldn't call it a 'snake pit'. Sometimes people see 'em, sometimes not. I've not had the fortune in a couple of trips there. Generally the trail is pretty visible along most of the route.

Camp sites: There are a couple of camp sites along Morrison Creek, perhaps 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way down if you don't want to do the 10+ miles to Pate Valley the first day. There are campable spots here and there along the Tuolumne except for the Muir Gorge area which is steep on both sides.

This is a great early season hike when the water is flowing well. Later in the season the side waterfalls dry up and the lower elevations get hot and its not as sweet. Late June is great for botanical variety in the 'Harden Garden' area just past the switchbacks heading down from Harden Lake.

If you park at WW, you can close the loop via either YARTs or the Tuolumne Hiker's Bus.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:46 pm

I'd add one more note to Dave's comments, which are spot on.

This trip depends completely on the conditions. In a low snow year, June should be fine, and maybe even less impressive than it could be. In a high snow year, June will have this valley FULL of water in places. It's not impassable...but you are going to have to wade a few sections. This is one hike that I definitely recommend playing by ear, based on the snow pack and the weather during your hiking window.

(You can always still hike into Glen Aulin from above and explore that area...)
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Pack Dad » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. We are absolutely keeping a backup plan. This is one of the driest winters I can remember (I'm 45). Gonna be a tough summer in California if the rain and snow doesn't make a miraculous comeback. I know we would all love to do this trip, though. Gotta get the kids away from the Wii, TV, and back to the woods!
Pack Dad

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Snakes populate places where there are plenty of small creatures for them to eat - low elevation near rivers/streams is a sure bet for a good snake population. It's going to be the same along any waterway from sea level to the subalpine. Teach your kids to not put feet or hands in holes or anywhere they can't see, like into low brush or grass, and to keep an eye on the trail ahead. Don't blindly step over things you can't see over. Snakes love to sun themselves in open granite in the morning to warm themselves up. I have run into large rattlers in Muir Gorge - once one stretched across the trail in front of us stopped us for a bit. We tossed pebbles and banged trekking poles on the trail (from a safe distance) and the snake slid off and into a hole several feet down the hill, rattling. He didn't even coil up to strike. The only rattler you'll find are the Pacific Northwestern kind - they aren't aggressive and just want to be left alone. They can be found well above treeline, but are fewer and farther between up high.

The other thing to teach the kids is to keep stuff put away in the bear can whenever they are done eating/using it. This is a high traffic area and the bears will go after unprotected food. Don't leave wrappers and other trash around, or hygiene items like lip balm, or any dirty dishes. Definitely don't keep any food in the tents ever. It's too easy to forget and go off to the water to play, and then the bears will be in the tent whether they can manage the zipper or not.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Pack Dad » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:50 pm

Yes, I do realize rattlers are pretty common everywhere around here. A kid was bitten on Mt Tam ( essentially our backyard) a few years ago. I just tend to overthink things sometimes. With bear and food/fragrance products safety our kids are pretty well versed in that subject. We've trained them well over the years. They know the drill and stick to it.
Pack Dad

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking