Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Buena Vista Crest Hike

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Buena Vista Crest Hike

Postby jgaffney » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:49 pm

This August, I'm going to do a 4-night loop around Buena Vista Crest. I'll jump off from Bridalveil Creek, with the first night at Turner Meadows, the second night at Buck Camp, and the third night at Lower Merced Lake. I'm looking for a spot for the fourth night that will leave me a short hike (6+ mi) to Happy Isles. I have to get back to Happy Isles, retrieve my car at Curry Village and be at the Yosemite Lodge to meet my wife when she comes in on the Amtrak bus at 1:30, or soon thereafter.

On the Tom Harrison map (Yosemite High Country), it shows a likely area between the Clark Fork and Red Creek. Any further down and it looks like I'd be camping on the side of a hill. Or, I could go about 2 miles further, take the cutoff (at 7020 ft) to the Buena Vista Trail and look for something at the junction of the Buena Vista and Mono Meadow trails.

All I want is easy access to water and a flat space for my tent. I'm not asking for much, right? Any ideas?
jgaffney
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Buena Vista Crest Hike

Postby robow8 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:55 am

On the Illilouette Creek trail coming from Lower Merced Pass Lake, there is an obvious campsite at the Clark Fork.
I tried to add a photo, but it wouldn't let me.
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:05 am

There are tons of campsites in Illiloutte canyon. IN fact, right where the Buena Vista Trail hits the Mono Meadows trail, you can find quite a few. There is water in the creek (at least, there is NOW!) and plenty of flat spaces.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jgaffney » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:15 pm

Thanks, guys. It looks like I'll have lotsa options.
jgaffney
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking