Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

2-night backpack route suggestions? Tuolumne Meadows in July

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

2-night backpack route suggestions? Tuolumne Meadows in July

Postby GillianKeller05 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:57 pm

Hello!

My fiancé and I are looking for an easy to medium level backpacking loop or route around Tuolumne meadows in early July for our pseudo-elopement!
We are both seasoned backpackers and each did a lot of backpacking in the past, however we have not been in many years and have not been on a backpack together. So we are starting fresh together with this trip! :)

We want something relatively simple and not a lot of distance- just want to get out into the wilderness a bit to enjoy one another's company.
I'd say about a 15 mile loop or an out and back of similar distance would be awesome.
We want to do a 2-night stay, staying at the same camp both nights but doing a rewarding day hike with scenery on the middle day.
Solitude is obviously going to be tricky on 4th of july but the 4th is our anniversary so we wanted to make it special :)

We want to have an intimate exchange of vows up there on the 4th - before our "real" wedding in september.... somewhere on a day-hike, so anywhere where the people are sparse and the scenery is beautiful would be amazing!!!
Any ideas? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
GillianKeller05
First-timer
First-timer

Re: 2-night backpack route suggestions? Tuolumne Meadows in

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:19 am

Well, there's essentially two options. Go south, or go north. Either way, permits are challenging to reserve and you should look at the map asap. Tis in fact too late to reserve for popular trailheads, which are all the ones out of Tuolumne Meadows.... unless you can leave July 2 or July 4 on your hike. Observe full trailheads here. http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... lheads.pdf

Note that May Lake might be available. You would need to figure out how to ride YARTS to that trailhead if the free shuttle doesn't run that far. I don't think it does. A Glen Aulin passthrough may be possible if you jump on the phone ASAP.

Going south you can choose from Cathedral or Lyell and return via the other one, and take advantage of the free TM shuttle to get back - or just walk down the road as they are not far apart. You'll need to check on the illegal/legal camping limits - I believe you have to be four miles out either trailhead to camp.

Going north, you can head down toward Glen Aulin and hang a left toward May Lake. Perhaps a short out and back to Waterwheel Falls before heading for May.

Have a look at a map. You may want to do the lollipop to Young Lakes - head up to the lakes, come back down, and take the Dog Lake trail back to TM.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:08 am

The big challenge is not to find the right route, but to get the permit. If you keep your options open, you can find a lot of places: Young Lakes, Cathedral Lakes, Lyell Canyon, Vogelsang, Glen Aulin, May Lake, Polly Dome Lakes...

And there are more if you want to get off trail a bit. Send me a PM if you are interested, and I'll share a couple of my favorite off-trail destinations that almost never fill up on the trail quota chart.

Bear in mind that early July can be peak mosquito season....not so romantic.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave_Ayers » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:33 pm

AT is right that the westernmost free shuttle stop is at Olmsted Point which is before the May Lake road turnoff. However, there is an eastbound shuttle stop number 11 between Olmsted and Sunrise stops that you can use to hike to May Lake. (The Shuttle route is at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/l ... eID=222906.) If you cross 120 from stop 11, you can hike up what is left of the old hwy 120 roadbed to the May lake parking lot and from there on the trail to the lake.

You might also consider hiking out of Murphy Creek to Glen Aulin and then back via TM or to May Lake. Murphy Creek is not an official shuttle stop, but the drivers have dropped me there more than once -- they are usually willing to make an extra stop if there is a safe turnout to do so. It is located on hwy 120 across from the center of Tenaya lake. The Full TH report shows only 3 days in July fully reserved out of Murphy Creek so far. It's ~7 miles to Glen Aulin and ~6 to May Lake from the Murphy Creek TH.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby weendoggy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:49 am

My favorite two day'r is past Elizabeth Lake to Nelson Lake. Stay the night and then cross country to Vogelsang coming out just south about midway between Emeric and Vogelsang, then out the next day. Not too strenuous and should have a lot of solitude, especially after Elizabeth Lk. If you get an eaarly start, once you setup camp at Nelson you can do a short day-hike to Mathes Lake. Very beautiful below the crest and wide open glacier made lake.
weendoggy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking