Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

North Rim in April

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

North Rim in April

Postby carpe diem » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:33 am

My husband and I will be visiting Yosemite in mid-April and would like to do a multiday hike if possible. We are experienced Canadian hikers and are, therefore, not afraid of the snow. Is this 3-4 day North Rim hike possible in mid-April (see link below) or are we better off camping in the valley and doing day hikes?

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/368705
carpe diem

Re: North Rim in April

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:20 pm

It should be possible, unless there are more snow storms. Note all the comments about Rockslides - not everyone can boulder with a backpack unscathed. Note also that the milepost on the road is not V9, but V7 - I believe that changed in the past few years. Many trip reports say V9 but there is a gate and a road that you follow up to the rockslide, at V7. There is no trail from V9.

You won't be alone up there. I've only day hiked those trails, simply because it gets pretty busy at the major attractions like the falls, and I prefer more isolated areas for backpacking. If it's your first time in Yosemite, staying in the valley and day hiking would allow you to also visit the visitor center and some of the front country attractions. Wandering through the Ahwahnee is pretty interesting.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby carpe diem » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:18 pm

Thanks for the tips, Almost There! It looks like we'll only have three days so I think we'll follow your advice and stay in the valley and do day hikes. Like you, we prefer to avoid crowds and get off the beaten path (even if it means missing out on a few 'major attractions'). Any recommendations for some challenging but rewarding day hikes that meet that criteria?

Thanks!
carpe diem

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:16 am

All the hikes that ascend from the valley are challenging. All of them will have people. Avoiding them can be as easy as starting to hike at 7 am, but on the way back down you'll run into crowds on the Mist Trail or Upper Yosemite Falls.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking