Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Jack Main Canyon

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Jack Main Canyon

Postby MoanaNui » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:03 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to do a Jack Main Canyon loop in the Hetch Hetchy area. It would be done in the last week of March. I'm wondering what the snow and trail conditions are like farther in and up higher. The loop would be from the dam to Laurel Lake, Lake Vernon, past Andrew's peak and turning back at Wilma Lake (Wilmer Lake) to head back to the reservoir. I know it's early for this, but with the current snow conditions it could be possible with out snow shoes and the what not. I'm not looking for speculation, I'm hoping to find someone who has been on the trails there recently and seen the conditions.

Thanks
MoanaNui
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Jack Main Canyon

Postby balzaccom » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:47 pm

You won't find many people who have been on the trails there recently, so here are my thoughts. From Hetch-hetchy over the dam and up to the Beehive, you won't have much snow or many problems. From the Beehive you may have only slight snow issues on the trail down to Lake Vernon. But if you go over Moraine Ridge (AKA Migraine Ridge) up to Jack Main Canyon, I would expect that the upper end of the trail (Since it's on the North side of the ridge) would be icy/snowy. Jack Main itself may be fine. Tiltill Valley is usually a mass of snowy, potholed mess in spring...and it would only take one snowfall to get it on its way again.

HOWEVER: note that at this time of year it's pretty common to get a big snowstorm (and we sure as heck are praying for one) and if one hit while you were two days up Jack Main Canyon, you might have a pretty tough time getting back. Trails disappear under six inches of snow...so please make Da%N sure you know what you are doing. We've had snow at 5,000 feet in Yosemite in early June...and March is way early.

If I were you, I would look at Rancheria Falls, maybe some day-hikes from the Falls up to LeConte...

Two days of hiking from a trailhead in a snowstorm is something that only very experienced and well-equipped hikers should consider.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Jack Main Canyon

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:13 am

I'd go somewhere else, if not wanting to deal with snow and weather. About 7500 feet elevation, two days ago, a friend went skiing. Snow is patchy but present most places above the usual snow line. Snow storms can drop 6-12 inches in March and April. While it doesn't really stick for weeks, it's enough to make navigation and walking difficult.

Personally, when there is melting snow, I do other things. I hate sliding around in very muddy or slushy trail.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking