Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Waterwheel Falls

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Waterwheel Falls

Postby bbmq » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:15 pm

I'm backpacking on the north side of Tioga road for the first time, I usually head south and I had a few questions:

What are good camping aresa in the Glen Aulin area?

How far past Glen Aulin is Waterwheel Falls?

Thank you in advance.
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: Waterwheel Falls

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:41 pm

You camp in a brushless flat spot. There aren't very many, and the ones there are, are fairly obvious. Since the "wind event of 2011" there are even fewer campsites than there used to be.

Waterwheel is a 14 mile round trip from the trailhead in Tuolumne Meadows, so about 2.5 - 3 miles beyond GA. You'll think you're there at LeConte but the actual Waterwheel is farther.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Waterwheel Falls

Postby Dave_Ayers » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:53 pm

What are good camping aresa in the Glen Aulin area?

There are a number of camp sites at Glen Aulin near the High Sierra Camp. After crossing the T and turning NE, continue past the footbridge and you'll begin to see them scattered about in the vicinity of the HSC and toilet. Usually a good number of folks camp at Glen Aulin. If you want more solitude, there are spots here and there in the flat areas starting about 0.25 mi downriver from Glen Aulin that get less use.

How far past Glen Aulin is Waterwheel Falls?

Approximately 3.5 miles.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking