Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

GCT the long way around

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

GCT the long way around

Postby Mpstaples » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:03 am

I am going the long way around the GCT, through Glen Aulin down to Pate Valley, then up Piute to Rogers Canyon. At Pate the Pate Valley junction, I turn right. that takes me to the start of the climb to Benson Pass. I would like to turn right at the Pate Valley junction and camp at the base of the climb up to Roger's Canyon. does anyone know if there is a place to camp at the foot of that climb, and if there is access to water (Piute Creek)? If not, I'll have to camp at Pate Valley, but that adds an additional 1.5 miles before i hit the climb, and I would rather be fresh for that thing.
Mpstaples

Re: GCT the long way around

Postby Mpstaples » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:41 am

No one seems to know. Just to be clear, I'm not asking if there will be water in the creek, just if anyone knows (1) if there is a place to camp there...just a flat place somewhere, and (2) is the creek accessible?

Has anyone been up that climb?
Mpstaples

Postby balzaccom » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:08 am

Sorry--but I can't help. Never hiked up Piute Creek. We've been to Benson lake, from the other direction, and we've been in the GCT, but never made the connecting hike
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Mpstaples » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:15 am

Well, I might just take my chances. it looks on the map as though there might be some flat places to camp and it's pretty close to the creek. I really want to be fresh for the climb because its a 5000 ft ascent !!! That's the ascent from Pate Valley to White Wolf, PLUS the hike from the Valley up to little Yosemite. but I would sure rather go up it instead of down it.
Mpstaples

Postby Dave_Ayers » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:02 pm

I haven't been to Benson Lake either. But there was a thread on Benson Lake at yosemitenews.info the other week. Try http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,78602 .
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking