Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First time in Yosemite, 3 day 2 night trip...where?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: First time in Yosemite, 3 day 2 night trip...where?

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:31 am

Rae Lakes loop - that's around 42 miles. Might be possible in 3 days even tho there is a pass in the middle... Most popular mid-length trip in the park, tho. And reservations started first week of March - I got my September permit for 8 people just last week. Going up Bubbs - I've gotten to Junction in a day and could have gone to Vidette, but it's a looooooooooong pull, and up all the way, and it got quite hot in the afternoon with little shade and lots of granite. Huge gain. There's a reason the clockwise way is more popular.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:44 am

One thing not mentioned yet is the ease of transportation in Yosemite vs. the rest of the Sierra. You can get away with not having a car in Yosemite but nowhere else. Kings Canyon has no shuttles. The network of buses and shuttles in Yose are unique in having multiple runs on the main routes every day in summer. Renting a car to leave it sitting for a week is sometimes too expensive to consider for out of state hikers.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 pm

I spoke too soon! Finally Fresno is getting smart!

http://abc30.com/570429/
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:18 am

Wonderful! And way overdue!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking