Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hetch Hetchy 3 nights - Avondelle Lake?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hetch Hetchy 3 nights - Avondelle Lake?

Postby jgaffney » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:29 pm

I'm planning a 3-night trip out of Hetch Hetchy for this July. The first night will be at Laurel Lake and the 3rd night will be at Rancheria Falls. I'm looking for input on the 2nd night.

I'll leave Laurel Lake the second day and hike up Morraine Ridge into Jack Main Canyon. Then, at about 7,700 ft, I'll take the trail that cuts across to the ridge between Tiltill Mtn and Tiltill Canyon. Avondelle Lake looks like a good stopping point for the night at around 8,300 ft. Are there good campsites here?

Thanks for the input.
jgaffney
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Hetch Hetchy 3 nights - Avondelle Lake?

Postby balzaccom » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:57 am

WE haven't camped at Avondelle--I recall that area as pretty darn granitic. If you are looking for a couple of trees for a hammock, it might take you a while to find them.

We've camped in Jack Main Canyon below Wilma Lake...and there are lots of places in Jack Main to camp. You are wise to want to camp before you go down into Tilltil Valley--often home to lots of mosquitoes and even a few bears.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jgaffney » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Balzac, thanks for the input. I don't need to hang a hammock. I just need some flat ground to pitch my tent. If it's granite slabs, I'll sleep in the tent like a bivy bag.
jgaffney
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:07 pm

FYI, there was a fire through that area recently. Some of the trail heading to Laurel were very exposed and hot before the fire. Trips out of Hetch Hetchy in the middle of summer, I'd recommend a very early morning start and getting up the Beehive switchbacks well before noon.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jgaffney » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:26 pm

Almost, yes, the last time I hiked up out of Hetch Hetchy, I slept in and got a late start. Bad idea. I ran out of water before I got to Beehive, and I was seeing stars by the time I got to the spring. I won't make that mistake again.

It's my understanding that the Rim Fire didn't burn much east of Cherry Lake, so Laurel should be OK.
jgaffney
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking