Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

tips for a June trip? Mono Meadow trailhead

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

tips for a June trip? Mono Meadow trailhead

Postby emilyw » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:12 am

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I are coming to California in June and are looking forward to hiking Yosemite's backcountry for the first time. We've read some posts in this forum and based on that got a permit for June 14-18 (5 days/4 nights) with entry and exit at Mono Meadow. We aren't hiking Half Dome, and I don't think we're allowed to stay at Little Yosemite Valley our first night. We are planning to hike to Red Peak and back (34 mi), or do the loop that we have heard exists (51 mi?).

I have a lot of questions. How is our timing this year? I've heard that it is a devastatingly bad snow year - is it possible to know now if we will have enough water? Or how many mosquitoes? Also, the fire last year was around this area - does anyone know if our trail got burned? I just imagine that newly burned areas are not so nice to hike through...

I'll admit I haven't tried super hard to find maps on my own, but I'm in Sweden and I think it is harder from over here - where can I get good maps for this trip? I tried USGS topo that you can download for free but they seem to be missing a huge chunk of our hike. We have a couple weeks in CA before we start hiking so we'd like to buy maps in advance and have time to study our route.

Finally, what do you think of our route options and pace? We have hiked sections of the PCT and like 10+ mile days. We've done 17 mile days but that was too stressful, and brutal considering the steep ascents/descents involved. I'm comfortable planning for the loop and then based on how it feels when we are out there deciding to go out-and-back instead so I wonder if anyone can tell me pros and cons for each route? Will we miss something amazing if we choose one over the other? I think someone on here has mentioned great fishing day hikes from the out-and-back trip! That would be so fun (and we would get a permit of course) But maybe we would see more beautiful sights on the loop?

I know I'm asking a lot! But if anyone has the energy to answer one question it would be so appreciated! Thank you :D
emilyw

Re: tips for a June trip? Mono Meadow trailhead

Postby robow8 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:02 pm

I did this loop last August, starting and ending in the Valley. Consider leaving your car in the Valley and taking the Glacier Point bus to the trailhead. That will let you finish in the Valley and not have to make the climb back to Mono Meadow.
In June, you shouldn't have any problem with water.
Mosquitoes may be another story.
The fire burned around the Little Yosemite Valley area. It won't be pretty, but it does offer some contrast. There are other burn areas you will go through, though they have recovered quite a bit.
The Tom Harrison Yosemite High Country map covers this area. http://www.amazon.com/Yosemite-High-Cou ... 1877689580
We camped at Clark Fork, Lower Ottoway Lake, Triple Peak Fork Junction, Merced Lake, and LYV, but there are lots of other places to camp.

Hopefully Almost There and Balzaccom will chime in as they are the real experts!
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:49 pm

It's a great hike. The one element of concern might be the north side of Red Peak Pass, which often has a lot of snow....but this year, I can only imagine that it doesn't have so much.

First night you have lots of options as you hike up Illilouette Canyon. Depending on where you start the day, and when you get your permit, it may take you a while to actually get on the trail. Figure at least an hour or more from Yosemite Valley to Mono Meadows trailhead...And with another half-hour or more to get your permit, you won't be hitting the trail at the crack of dawn. (No camping is allowed at the trailhead itself)

So first day up the canyon, and that makes the second day an easy hike up to Ottoway Lakes. Day three would get you up and over Red Peak Pass, and maybe down to Wahburn Lake. Day 4 is a stroll down to LYV, and then out to Mono Meadows.

By the way, if Red Peak Pass is too snowy on the north side (and you might get a condition check from a ranger...if someone has gone up there before you) the other option is to head over Merced Pass and wander back through the Buena Vista Crest area. Also lovely. Or you can just do an out and back to Ottoway Lakes.

Merced Pass Lake is not as pretty as Lower Ottoway...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby emilyw » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Thank you so much for your help robow8 and balzaccom! Good to hear that we have options if there is snow on Red Peak, interesting idea leaving the car in the Valley. And thanks for giving me some possible campsites.

I would love even more info and advice if someone out there has more to add, but for now have run out of the questions that I know to ask :) Thanks again!!
emilyw

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking