Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Pate Valley

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Pate Valley

Postby mikecain3 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:04 pm

Does anyone know what time of year the White Wolf area opens? I was thinking about doing an early season trip to pate valley. Since the snowpack is light, what do you think about late April?
mikecain3
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Pate Valley

Postby balzaccom » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:11 pm

IT's a question of when they open the Tioga Road, and that really depends more on the snow near Olmstead Point (which is non-existent right now) and the funds they need to plow the road more than once. They don't like to ploy it multiple times, so they usually wait until they are pretty sure there is not much snow coming. I think this year it's all wishful thinking, but they are talking about at least one more storm in mid-April../.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Pate Valley

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:13 pm

Website says mid April to open the pass. White Wolf the lodge is closed until 2016 for renovation. Trailhead parking is right in front of the lodge. No idea if they will relocate that parking or just close that trailhead.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking