Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First Trip Assistance - Cathedral Lakes to YV - Late May

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First Trip Assistance - Cathedral Lakes to YV - Late May

Postby aclova2 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:20 am

Hello,

First time posting here and would appreciate the help! Here is our current plan for a trip in late may. We have wilderness permits for Cathedral Lakes trailhead & Half Dome.

Day 1:
-Drive car to Tuolumne Meadows (≈1.5 hrs) and leave car at Cathedral Lake trailhead
-Hike to Cathedral Lakes (≈4 miles)
-Hike from Cathedral Lakes to Upper Sunrise Lake (≈5 miles)
-Camp at Upper Sunrise Lake, Get a spot on slab facing west. Sunset and views of valley.
-Total distance: 9 mi

Day 2:
-Hike from Upper Sunrise Lake to Clouds Rest (4.7 miles)
-Have lunch and hang out at the top of Clouds Rest
-Hike down from Clouds Rest to the base of Half Dome (Sunrise Creek area) (4 miles)
-Camp at the base of Half Dome (Sunrise Creek area)
Total distance: 8.7 miles

Day 3:
-Leave main bags behind and hike Half Dome
-After hiking Half Dome grab main bags and head down to valley (4 miles), Vernal and Nevada Falls on the way down
-Camp in Yosemite Valley – Backpackers campground

Day 4:
-Hitchhike back to Tuolumne Meadows to get car

** Questions I have and your feedback or criticism would be appreciated**

1) Any tips on getting rides to or from Tuolumne Meadows since the buses will not be running in late May?
2) A majority of the group are beginners but are in good shape. Thoughts on pace of the trip? Worth spending an extra night in the wilderness to decrease miles?
3) Are we rushing Day 3 with Half Dome, Vernal, Nevada Falls, and returning to the valley?
4) Thoughts on difficulty of summiting Clouds Rest and descending into sunrise creek (Half Dome base) with full packs?
5) Any tips on camping spots near sunrise lakes or other areas for the trip I described above?
6) Thoughts on snowpack/weather for late May? I'm under the assumption that snow shouldn't be an issue at this point with the current snowpack (pending upcoming storms).

Thank you!
aclova2

Re: First Trip Assistance - Cathedral Lakes to YV - Late May

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:01 pm

YARTS starts their service for 120 on May 16. I would drive to the trailhead parking nearest your exit point (Curry or trailhead parking down the road) and grab the YARTS first thing in the morning to the trailhead. That gives you an afternoon to wander the valley and with the permit a night in the backpacker campground. You'll need a five dollar bill per person.

I wouldn't leave a pack unattended anywhere in Yosemite. Many of the bears will grab packs to investigate them at their leisure after getting away somewhere. I would use the pack as a day pack, partially loaded, leave all extra food in the bear can you are obligated to use, leave the tent and sleeping gear set up with any other items you don't want to carry, and not take chances with your gear. The bears are so motivated for food they will break into cars, so a clean car and not leaving empty bags or ice chests in plain view is also important. They recognize packs and ice chests on sight as potentially containing food and don't slow down to sniff it to check before they move in.

Staking out tents or using rocks on the corners is highly recommended. They make great kites, even with gear in them.

Snow just deep enough to cover trails is possible year round, any time. Just another thing to be prepared for. Maps all around, and a compass. Or enough supplies to sit for a day while it melts again.

Bring your bug repellent.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby aclova2 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:10 pm

AlmostThere, thanks for the info! I've been told by YARTS and the parks service that YARTS bus service for tuolumne meadows doesn't start until mid june (weekends only). Do you know something they aren't telling me? If the buses aren't running do you have any other tips?

Thanks!
aclova2

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:25 pm

I checked at YARTS.com which is their official website. All their schedules are up. Yosemite phone people are frequently misinformed.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jchapell » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:03 pm

I could be very, very wrong...but my research on yarts.com shows Sonora-Yosemite Valley begins May 16, but Yosemite Valley - Mammoth Lakes (including Tuolomne) begins weekends in June, and daily in July.

Submitted humbly:
http://yarts.com/routes-and-schedules/m ... te-valley/

Separately, the hiker's shuttle/tour bus says it begins June 19.
http://www.yosemitepark.com/tuolumne-meadows-tour.aspx
jchapell
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:39 pm

In another thread, it was established that YARTS is being shortsighted and not starting their buses until June across Tioga Pass. However if you call the hiker bus line, they will tell you they are starting in May.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jchapell » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:41 am

You've got the good word AlmosThere! Thanks again.
jchapell
Regular
Regular

Postby aclova2 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:05 am

Thanks for the info. I just called the hikers bus line and they said they didn't have any info that the bus would be open early. Do you expect it will be open by may 28th/29th?
aclova2

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking