Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Early May trip - Tuolumne to Devil's Postpile Roundtrip

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Early May trip - Tuolumne to Devil's Postpile Roundtrip

Postby Jude » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:02 am

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a 5-6 day solo trip to Yosemite. I plan to take the JMT from Tuolumne Meadows to Devil's Postpile and then come back via the PCT until it meets up at Thousand Island Lake and then back to Tuolumne. I'm planning on starting my hike on May 6th or 7th, if the Tioga Road opens by then. I'd love some thoughts on doing this hike so early in the season. I know it just snowed up there but the forecast looks warm for the upcoming week. I'm a relatively experienced backpacker (though this will be my first long solo trip) and did a 3 day trip to Yosemite (to Mt. Florence) in late March this year.

Thanks!
Jude

Re: Early May trip - Tuolumne to Devil's Postpile Roundtrip

Postby balzaccom » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:35 am

Well, you've raised the biggest question with the weather. They just announced that Tioga Pass should open May1, but that only means the road will be clear. Therr is still some snow at higher elevations.

This trip is slightly risky, in that six days solo (your FIRST solo!) gives you time to get into real trouble if you don't know what you're doing. Steep North face passes, high stream crossings, and sudden storms are your biggest concerns.

Given all those factors, I would probably pick a lower and shorter route for my firat solo trip...

But this year the weather is a wild card,,,,, and you could get a walk in the park,
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:38 am

There may be another snag in the plan, depending on how many rush up the pass for permits. the exit quota for Donahue Pass is very small. overuse of the area leads to NPS choking off the flow of people.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave_Ayers » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:46 am

They've added Donohue exit quotas to the Yosemite Full Trailhead Report (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... lheads.pdf), see the last few pages. At present it looks like there are slots open starting from Lyell up through 5/22. With such a low snowpack, you may want to get busy and apply for a permit reservation right away before the permit situation changes much.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Jude » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:00 am

Thanks for all of the feedback! You have all gotten at the crux of my concerns. Thanks for your thoughts - the weather, the potential for snow pack, and as this is my first solo hike, have made me decide to put this hike on the back burner for now. I'll do a shorter,lower elevation hike in Yosemite (1-2 nights) to get my solo hike feet under me.
Thanks for the words of caution. It's easy to get caught up in the places you could go versus those you should go!
Jude

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking