Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First overnight with 9 year-old

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First overnight with 9 year-old

Postby mitchell » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:56 pm

I want to take my 9 year-old son on his first overnight backpack in Yosemite.
I am thinking either Cathedral Lakes, Ostrander or some place where we can enjoy views, dip in the water and maybe even cast a fly.
Trip would probably involve a first night in the backpackers campground as we'll be seeking next day permits.
I am an experienced backpacker but want to make it fun for him.
All feedback is appreciated.
mitchell

Re: First overnight with 9 year-old

Postby Pack Dad » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:33 pm

We started out kids at ages 5 and 7. They're now 11 and 13. A couple of things that help us:
--have plenty of snacks for energy while hiking in and plan accordingly for frequent stops.
--have a completely separate set of pajamas or clothes designated for the tent only. Kids get food on themselves in many many elaborate ways. The clothes they eat in should stay out of the tent.
--have band aids or whatever to cover boo boos. It's amazing how quickly the pain stops and they can continue hiking once the bandaid is placed.
--kids need constant reminders to stay hydrated. Remember little Johnny, the more you drink, the lighter your pack will become!
Pack Dad

Postby Grzldvt » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:07 pm

mitchell wrote:I want to take my 9 year-old son on his first overnight backpack in Yosemite.
I am thinking either Cathedral Lakes, Ostrander or some place where we can enjoy views, dip in the water and maybe even cast a fly.
Trip would probably involve a first night in the backpackers campground as we'll be seeking next day permits.
I am an experienced backpacker but want to make it fun for him.
All feedback is appreciated.

Actually May Lake, is the best choice, if you can get it.. It is very short, you are in the High Sierra camp with water and facilities, and an easy get out if there is any issue. I took my kids there at that age, and they loved it. That prepped them for longer trips. Their next trip was to Polly Dome Lakes, a bit more wilderness oriented, yet an easy hike with decent scenery.
Cathedral Lakes is not a bad hike, but Ostrander is a tough hike. It has some serious uphill portions.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:12 am

May Lake, or the Saddlebag Lakes loop just outside and east of the park. Saddlebag Lake has a ferry that cuts 3 miles off the hike, then you and the kids can wander around a short ways and find a campsite near one of the many lakes. There are some no camping areas (Hall Research area, including Conness Lakes) but there is plenty of places to camp a short distance from the dock. No quotas but the permit can be picked up on the way to the trailhead - Tuolumne Wilderness office will issue them, I believe.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:38 am

I'm not sure if this reply will be timely to your plans, but hopefully it'll be of some use to others.

I started my kids at 7 and 9 on their first trip. That was many years and many trips ago, but aside from the usual recommendations for hydration, nutrition, etc, I think the three key thoughts on my experience in keeping kids happy and wanting to keep going are keeping their packs as light as possible (my daughter quickly discovered that sequined t-shirts weigh a lot), keeping their feet happy with proper boots (and insoles) and heavy Merino wool socks, or a good combo of sock/liner, and, before you even begin, getting them properly fitted for a pack that's comfortable. They may not always be thrilled by the terrain, but all of you will be at an advantage from the get go, because you prepared right before you even set out. Maybe above all, even though you might have to push them a little, be patient.

As far as overnight, cut-your-teeth types of trips go:

An in-and-out to Upper Cathedral Lake is always a great trip. The second I would recommend is Yosemite Creek trail head to the Valley. Third would be Porcupine Creek trail head, overnight at Snow Creek, then down to the Valley. Even though the latter two involve some long and serious descents (something they better get used to for hiking the park), the trails are relatively easy, the views are stellar, and there is plenty of water and camping en route, so you do have the option of stopping if they hit their wall before where you originally planned.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:58 am

Lots of good advice here. I'll second the nominations for May Lake, Cathedral Lakes, Saddlebag Lake/Twenty Lakes Basin, and Polly Dome Lakes. All good choices for small hikers.

And outside Yosemite, there are plenty good places as well: Clark Fork, Sword or Lost Lake, Camp or Bear Lake...all of those off Highway 108.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby portlandmatt » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:44 pm

We did Little Lakes Valley as a trial run with the kids to ensure we had all been through a couple nights away before committing to longer trips. I know you said "Yosemite" and LLV is not in Yosemite, but if you're looking for a great alternative that is close-ish to Yosemite, Little Lakes Valley was awesome for beginners. It's a great hike, fairly easy terrain, well marked trail, beautiful scenery, fishing is great, easy trailhead access from the parking lot, etc.
portlandmatt

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:16 pm

Except that if he is coming from the West side of the Sierra, Little Lakes Valley adds at least an hour to his drive before the hike....which is never much fun with kids.

I agree, it's a nice place to take kids though...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking