Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

4 day hike- 2 First timers

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

4 day hike- 2 First timers

Postby earmer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi All!

My roommate and I (both in our 20s) are heading to Yosemite Mid-May and would like to plan a 4 day hike (appx 20 mi). My roommate originally had her eye on the Breeze Lake Loop, but then we were told this is better for more experienced hikers. I've gotten a recommendation for Clouds Rest Trail and Happy Isles Trailhead too. I would love some info on these and any other recommendations! I am an experienced camper and have been on one 2-day hike before, but this is our first real backpacking trip, so we're looking for adventure but don't want to get in over our heads!

Thanks!
earmer

Re: 4 day hike- 2 First timers

Postby balzaccom » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:44 pm

Pick up a copy of a hiking guide to Yosemite. It will save you lots of time and trouble. (Or you can check out our website and see a lot of hikes that you should consider.)

Four days, twenty miles, is a very relaxed pace. If you fish, take pictures, draw, or have some other activity that you like to do, then that's a good pace. If not, you might find that you are at your next campsite each day about lunch time....with a whole afternoon on your hands.

Cloud's Rest is usually done as a 14+ mile dayhike from the West end of Tenaya Lake. It doesn't make for a very good backpacking trip, because there aren't great places to camp in between the start and the top...and camping on the top is problematic, because there is no water source there. Happy Isles Trailhead is the most popular in the park, but really only leads up to Little Yosemite Valley. If you like lots of people and bears, that might be a good choice. If you want peace and quiet and occasional solitude, it's not a good choice.

For starters, why not look at a route via some of the High Sierra Camps in Yosemite? They will certainly have people there, but if you are not experienced backpackers, sometimes it helps to have a few people around. You could hike some of the High Sierra camps in Yosemite: May Lake, Glen Aulin, Tuolumne Meadows, Sunrise, and back to your car near May Lake. About six miles each day between camps.

Of check out our website for lots of ideas of hikes in Yosemite--most of which are off the beaten track, and will give you not only gorgeous views, but also occasional solitude...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: 4 day hike- 2 First timers

Postby earmer » Fri May 01, 2015 10:25 am

Thank you! So helpful! :)
earmer

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking