Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

South Rim Hike

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

South Rim Hike

Postby Jeff » Sat May 02, 2015 10:00 am

hello,

i am planning to hike the south rim trail making it a loop trip from Curry Village where I plan to leave my car. My question is it doesn't appear that a trail exists from the Bridaveil Falls parking lot to the trail head near tunnel view. On Google Earth it looks like the old road may continue in the forest to the BVF parking lot. Does anyone know if this old road exists or whether you can just hike along the shoulder of Hwy 41, or is that discouraged/prohibited by NPS? Thanks in advance for any advice/information.
Jeff

Re: South Rim Hike

Postby Dave_Ayers » Mon May 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Yes, there is trail most of the way from Bridalveil Fall to the Pohono Trail above Discovery View east of the Wawona Tunnel. There is only perhaps 1/3rd mile that you'd have to walk along the road west of the Bridalveil Falls parking loop. In Google Earth, go to Layers, More, Parks/Rec Areas, US Nat Parks, and click the box next to Trails. That will make all the maintained Yosemite trails visible in red with segment mileages shown too (the mileages are a bit low). Or take a look at the El Capitan 1:24000 USGS topo map which also shows the trail. The USGS maps can be downloaded for free at http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/map ... ea=%24ROOT)/.do
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: South Rim Hike

Postby Jeff » Mon May 25, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks!
Jeff

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking