Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hitchhiking: Tuolumne Meadows<->Yosemite Valley, 2nd of June

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hitchhiking: Tuolumne Meadows<->Yosemite Valley, 2nd of June

Postby Werner » Tue May 05, 2015 2:56 am

Hi guys,

With a friend of mine, I will be wildcamping and hiking from tuolumne meadows to the Yosemite Valley from 3rd to 5th of June, but there is NO public transportation.
We already have the permit for the trailhead, and we are planning on renting a car, but we can only leave the car waiting for us at the beginning or ending of the trail.

We are from Belgium, planning our first visit to the park, so I guess we can use some advice on planning the trip well.

Our biggest question is about hitching between Tuolumne and Yosemite Valley. Can we count on a solution there, we would arrive a day earlier, which is the 2nd of June!
Someone experience with that? Maybe some bus from a tour?

Regards!
Werner

Re: Hitchhiking: Tuolumne Meadows<->Yosemite Valley, 2nd of

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 05, 2015 8:39 am

Don't assume there is no public transportation just yet. Call the hiker bus line in a few days. It has been suggested to me by concessions staff that yes, they want to make money now instead of waiting until their "usual" schedule starts. Information about the hiker buses is at yosemitepark.com.

Do you already have a wilderness permit for your trip? That will be an issue if you have not. So will packing food in a bear canister, if you've never done that before. But I assume you will be picking up those things here. Rather than assume you have already figured it out (a lot of people don't) I will give you these links. http://sierrawild.gov/bears/how-pack-bear-can

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm

If you already have those things figured out, great! You're ahead of a lot of folks.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Werner » Wed May 06, 2015 4:31 am

Hey AlmostThere,

Thanks for the quick response. I will definitely check the site and call them for options. Is email an option? since there is a big time difference...

We have a reservation for the wilderness permit with the trailhead we want to use. A lot of options were indeed already fully booked!
I still have to check the 'how to pack bear can' link, though ...

We are also a little confused about the possibility to camp at Tuolumne Meadows the day before we start our hike there. We will arrive not so early that day, so will there still be a place to put up our tent without reservation?

Looking forward to out visit!
Greetings
Werner

Postby AlmostThere » Wed May 06, 2015 6:30 am

There is a backpackers camp within the campground. If you have a wilderness permit or a confirmation for one, for the following day, you can stay there for $5 per person. Also the night after your backpacking trip, tho in that case you would stay in the one near North Pines in the valley.

Have fun.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Werner » Tue May 26, 2015 2:19 am

Just for the record:

The shuttles are ready to go from 22nd of May. And they are free.

Great!
Werner

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 26, 2015 5:52 am

Werner wrote:Just for the record:

Great!

The shuttles have short ranges - you can't get on one in Curry and go to Tuolumne or vise versa.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave_Ayers » Wed May 27, 2015 8:02 am

Werner wrote:Just for the record:
Great!

The Yosemite shuttles are free, but they only run within the Valley and from Olmsted Pt to the Tioga (east) entrance along highway 120. For transport via bus from TM to the Valley you'll need to take the Hiker's Bus (http://www.yosemitepark.com/tuolumne-meadows-tour.aspx) which charges a few $$. As AT predicted, the Hiker's Bus started running several buses per day last weekend.

YARTs should start weekend buses in June. They also charge, but less than the Hiker's bus. See http://yarts.com/routes-and-schedules/m ... te-valley/ . Since you'll be there 6/3-5 which is Weds-Fri, you won't be able to use it.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave_Ayers » Thu May 28, 2015 9:53 am

I read that the Hiker's Bus did not start service on 5/22 as previously planned. So check the web or call before you count on them.
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,80024
http://www.yosemitepark.com/tuolumne-meadows-tour.aspx
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave_Ayers » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:55 am

I called this morning and the person told me the Hiker's Bus is now running per the posted schedule and is free this year too.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking