Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Help! Which loop is the better one?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Help! Which loop is the better one?

Postby TiMa » Wed May 06, 2015 4:05 pm

Hey everyone,

our backpacking trip is coming closer and I am still not sure which loop would be the better choice. I hope you guys can help me with making the decision! :D

Option 1:

1.night: Little Yosemite Valley
2.night: Somewhere close to the Clouds Rest summit (max.1mile radius). I would like to take pictures at night from the top. If I see we are running out of water before reaching the top, I would continue to another spot closer to a water source.
3.night: Washburn lake (Is the hike from clouds rest too much for a day?)
4.night: Vogelsang lake
5.night: Merced lake area
6.night: Little Yosemite Valley

Option 2:

1.night: Little Yosemite Valley
2.night: Somewhere close to the Clouds Rest summit (max.1mile radius). I would like to take pictures at night from the top. If I see we are running out of water before reaching the top, I would continue to another spot closer to a water source.
3.night: Cathedral Lake
4.night: Vogelsang lake
5.night: Merced lake area
6.night: Little Yosemite Valley

Is one of the two options way harder than the other one?
TiMa
Regular
Regular

Re: Help! Which loop is the better one?

Postby Dave_Ayers » Thu May 07, 2015 4:00 pm

I prefer option 2. The Merced Lake/Washburn Lake area is mostly forest and not all that scenic except for the lakes themselves, so I don't recommend going back-and-forth in that area. The views are better at Cathedral/Vogelsang if you can handle the extra distance and climbing.

If you don't have enough water to stay at Cloud's Rest, the next source is ~2.5 mi northward. So take plenty or be prepared to hoof it a while to get to water.

Be aware you'll be traveling a bit through the burn area from last year's Meadow Fire, see https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2fotO ... view?pli=1 .
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking