Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

May itinerary

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

May itinerary

Postby Stardumb » Wed May 06, 2015 4:51 pm

So I was awarded a half some and backcountry permit for the end of May and I just extended the dates. This was my plan and could you give me some advice or critique my itinerary.
Day 1: Happy Isles to LYV.
Day 2: summit half dome and clouds rest and end at Sunrise HSC.
Day 3: take JMT to and through Tuolumne to camp at Vogelsang.
Day 4: camp at Merced Lake.
Day 5: exit at Happy Isles.
If I did it right, the total loops mileage is 56 miles give or take a few.
Has anyone done loop?
Last edited by Stardumb on Wed May 06, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stardumb

Re: May itinerary

Postby AlmostThere » Wed May 06, 2015 8:30 pm

First time backpacking? Have you hiked at higher elevations before?

days 2 and 3 are a bit much if you haven't done a lot of hiking before. Especially if you are wearing new boots.

If you haven't got a lot of hiking experience, consider camping at sunrise creek on day 2, and go to Merced Lake, then Vogelsang, then back down to camp somewhere between Merced Lake and LYV on the way out.

If you are thinking of resupplying at Tuolumne, that's not really necessary if you get your food right - the first night you have lockers in LYV to store things in. That leaves three nights of stuff to fit in a bear can. One of the Garcias rented by the park works for two people who pack the right food the right way, or one person who just throws it in there, for three nights.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Stardumb » Wed May 06, 2015 9:36 pm

Not my first time backpacking. I don't usually get altitude sickness. Reason I was heading up towards Tuolumne was to see Cathedral peak and come around to Vogelsang. Not necessarily to resupply as I'm packing a bv450. My whole pack before food and water is around 8-9lbs. I have done lots of day hikes at different altitudes, in shape, and put in about 10-15 miles a day of foot travel.
Stardumb

Postby Dave_Ayers » Thu May 07, 2015 3:51 pm

You've chosen some of the most 'touristy' and crowded areas for backpack camping in the Sierra Nevada, though being early in the season will help. Perhaps that was by design, but it's not my cup of tea. If you don't like crowds so much, you might think of less busy camp spots than the HSC's. For example, you might consider Sunrise Lakes vs. Sunrise HSC and Evelyn Lake vs. Vogelsang.

And you'll be doing a bit of hiking through the burn area from last year's Meadow Fire. See https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2fotO ... view?pli=1 .
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu May 07, 2015 4:56 pm

Forgive me, but usually, folks who ask questions here have little to no experience backpacking.

As Dave noted, this is the busiest part of the park, and you'll be surrounded by day hikers and High Sierra Camp tourists. If you can do the miles, there's nothing wrong with the itinerary - personally I wouldn't bother going to Tuolumne and getting caught in all the crowds there. I've done all of the loop - as day hikes and search efforts.

Some things are gorgeous. Some things are burnt up. Hope you are up for some hot lower elevation hiking in the sun. Fortunately, there should be water in the river and all the lakes, tho the streams may get down to a trickle...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Almanorkid » Fri May 08, 2015 10:11 am

Although those are heavily used trails, I'm not sure you have to worry about either Sunrise HSC or Vogelsang HSC being crowded since I think in late May both camps are still closed. Someone correct me if I got that wrong. Last year Sunrise HSC didn't open until July 11 (I know cuz I was there July 10). The snow conditions and temps may be your biggest consideration, currently 120E has been re-closed. I have a permit out of TM on May 15 and this late storm has me considering other options.
Almanorkid

Postby mbaze » Fri May 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Snow in TM this morning.

mbaze

Postby AlmostThere » Fri May 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Great! Much more snow than I was expecting.

With the predicted cooling trend, we may have it for a few weeks, too.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Fri May 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Almanorkid wrote:Although those are heavily used trails, I'm not sure you have to worry about either Sunrise HSC or Vogelsang HSC being crowded since I think in late May both camps are still closed. Someone correct me if I got that wrong. Last year Sunrise HSC didn't open until July 11 (I know cuz I was there July 10). The snow conditions and temps may be your biggest consideration, currently 120E has been re-closed. I have a permit out of TM on May 15 and this late storm has me considering other options.

This.... May Lake last year did not open until mid June. I have never seen a camp open before mid June, and I have been going to them for the last 20 years
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby aclova2 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:39 am

We also will be on the trail in about 2 weeks. With the 20 in of snow, more on the way, 50 F high for the next week and a half, and high precip I'm getting concerned. Good news for water but not for our backpacking trip.

How much snow is going to be left? Will Cathredrial Lakes over Clouds Rest be passable for your typical summer backpacker?

Any feedback would be great.
aclova2

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 11, 2015 6:10 am

the snow below 9-10000 has melted and tioga is open again.... patches of snow all over. we'll see what the next system brings.

I doubt it will be much. 50% chance of snow - except for the possibility of road closures that doesn't sound like much of a worry to me. I'm heading for my favorite low elevation camping spot this weekend. Chains in the car, warm layers, and nice warm beverages all around. Nothing like laying in the hammock listening to rain on the tarp.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mbaze » Mon May 11, 2015 9:43 am

Web cams give you an idea of what's going on. Badger Pass, at 7,500 feet, had snow last week, if I recall. This week, not so much.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmul ... ebcams.htm
mbaze

Postby aclova2 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks for the great info.

Will the Tuolumne Meadows wilderness station be open around May 25th? Looking to pickup permits and rent a bear canister there instead of the valley. Also, will the backpackers campground be open for use at the Meadows?
aclova2

Postby Talenn » Wed May 20, 2015 10:48 pm

Has anyone heard of this?
I was asking about the high sierra camps and the availability of bear lockers. I have never been to the high sierra camps (whether when 'closed' or 'opened').
The lady said:
"The nearest ranger station is the one by Tuolumne Meadows and there is one by Merced Lake, but it may not be open since there is no one at the camps now. We are not too sure about the bear boxes being available at this time, since they do get put away when the camps are close. There is also no availability for trash cans, so any trash that you will have you will need to carry with you and dispose at the next trash area you come to. Also remember that since the camps are close there will be no water available, so you will need to have filters or what ever it is to get clean water."

Has anyone ever heard of them moving the bear lockers such that they are not available?
Talenn
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Thu May 21, 2015 6:32 am

So you have to backpack.

You should have a bear can no matter what - what if you can't make it to the camp for some reason? Problems can be compounded by the loss of your food.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking