Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hiking El Cap

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hiking El Cap

Postby wendy4115 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:38 pm

My husband and I would love to hike to the top of El Capitan......I'd like to hear anyone's stories/experiences/suggestions. I've read it's a (relatively speaking) easy hike, but then I wondered why I don't hear much about people hiking El Cap?
wendy4115

Re: Hiking El Cap

Postby AlmostThere » Thu May 07, 2015 11:02 am

Relative to what? The shortest route is the Upper Yosemite Falls trail, with 16 miles round trip and nearly 4000 feet of gain. It's a 19 mile round trip from Yosemite Creek or Porcupine flat trailheads. You could go in from Old Big Oak Flat for a more gradual approach but that's also quite long for a day hike for someone wanting an easy hike.

Someone's got a totally different idea of easy. I'd call all the approaches strenuous - for distance and gain. Unless we are talking about spending the night down there, in which case it becomes 8 miles per day from one of the TIoga Rd trailheads, which is moderate to strenuous depending on your level of endurance, fitness and pack weight.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby wendy4115 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi AlmostThere - No, it doesn't sound like it's easy at all. I read about the El Cap hike in a book somewhere, but maybe the author was thinking in comparison to Half Dome. If we are going to do a long, strenuous hike, I'd rather do Cloud's Rest. Thanks for the info!
wendy4115

Postby AlmostThere » Thu May 07, 2015 8:11 pm

I suggest Sentinel Dome for easy views, and North Dome for a moderately strenuous eight mile day hike. Or go to Olmsted Point, catch the trail going west, and as you reach the top of the ridge of mt Watkins, turn left on a faint use trail for crowd less, up close views of clouds rest from the end of the ridge.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking