Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Itnerary check for first-time backpackers

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Itnerary check for first-time backpackers

Postby dugsanpedro » Mon May 18, 2015 5:10 pm

I've got a wilderness permit for late July and will be bringing my two daughters (ages 12 and 14) for a week. Here is what I'm planning and would appreciate any feedback. The entry trailhead is Glen Aulin -> Cold Canyon/Waterwheel (pass through) and the exit trailhead is Yosemite Falls.

Day 1: Drive from LA to Yosemite, pick up wilderness pass and take YARTS shuttle to Tuolomne Meadows and camp. This is the day before the wilderness permit kicks in.

Day 2: Hike past Glen Aulin. How far past Glen Aulin do we have to go before we can camp? Sounds like there will not be much to see at Waterwheel with no snowpack.

Day 3: Hike to Cathedral lakes.

Day 4: Hike from Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise lakes.

Day 5: Hike from Sunrise Lakes to Merced Lake.

Day 6: Hike to Little Yosemite Valley. This is the exit date on the wilderness permit.

Day 7: Hike to Yosemite Valley and drive back to LA.
dugsanpedro
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Itnerary check for first-time backpackers

Postby balzaccom » Tue May 19, 2015 4:49 am

I think you are confused. Yosemite Falls trailhead comes down from the North Rim. It is NOT the Happy Isles trailhead leading to Vernal Falls, Nevada Falls, and Little Yosemite Valley. To end at the Yosemite Falls trailhead on your route, you would have to head from Ten Lakes Basin towards North Dome, then West along the North Rim of Yosemite Valley.

Not a bad hike, but very different from what you have planned.

That said, the rangers aren't too concerned about your exit, unless you try to head South on the John Muir Trail...so you should be fine.

But that's a long trip for a couple of kids. Have they backpacker before? I usually suggest a shorter trip to start, and one with a few "escape" routes that would let you but out early if the kids aren't having enough fun...

If you do go, you could quit where you cross Tioga Road.,,
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MadDiver » Tue May 19, 2015 6:19 am

This map shows the where camping is allowed from the trailhead http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... lheads.pdf So in your case about 1/2 way (past the end of the arrow) between GA and Waterwheel or anywhere further is where you would be able to camp.
MadDiver
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 19, 2015 7:48 am

That looks like a serious trip for kids. If this is their first trip, I would make it a much shorter miles per day trip than that. I would also try to set it up so that the camps are consistently below 9600 feet so that you can build campfires which are fun for kids.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave_Ayers » Tue May 19, 2015 12:13 pm

I agree with the previous posters. Glen Aulin to Cathedral Lakes is a very long haul for newbies since you'd need to go via Murphy Creek or May Lake to avoid needing a 2nd permit for backtracking and reentry at the Cathedral TH.

It might work better if you insert an overnight stay between Glen Aulin and Sunrise at either May Lake or Polly Dome Lakes. Then camp at Sunrise Lakes instead of Cathedral Lakes. Skip Merced Lake and go from Sunrise over Clouds Rest (CR is much better anyways) and camp near the CR/JMT junction. Head out via the Falls and Happy Isles and camp in the Valley Backpacker camp.

It should not be hard to get your exit TH or your exit date changed.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Tue May 19, 2015 11:38 pm

Dave_Ayers wrote:I agree with the previous posters. Glen Aulin to Cathedral Lakes is a very long haul for newbies since you'd need to go via Murphy Creek or May Lake to avoid needing a 2nd permit for backtracking and reentry at the Cathedral TH.

It might work better if you insert an overnight stay between Glen Aulin and Sunrise at either May Lake or Polly Dome Lakes. Then camp at Sunrise Lakes instead of Cathedral Lakes. Skip Merced Lake and go from Sunrise over Clouds Rest (CR is much better anyways) and camp near the CR/JMT junction. Head out via the Falls and Happy Isles and camp in the Valley Backpacker camp.

It should not be hard to get your exit TH or your exit date changed.

This...... Plus there is no reason to go past Glen Aulin. Once you get beyond a swamp, camping spots are very sparse, as you are dropping down into a river canyon with a pretty narrow trail. I would camp at Glen Aulin High Sierra camp and day hike down the river.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave_Ayers » Wed May 20, 2015 4:07 pm

The OP mentioned having a "Glen Aulin -> Cold Canyon/Waterwheel (pass through)" permit. The Pass-through requires camping at least a mile or so past GA. Perhaps OP can swap the permit if there are slots available.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MadDiver » Thu May 21, 2015 8:22 am

Dave_Ayers wrote:The OP mentioned having a "Glen Aulin -> Cold Canyon/Waterwheel (pass through)" permit. The Pass-through requires camping at least a mile or so past GA. Perhaps OP can swap the permit if there are slots available.

Since that permit also allows Cold Canyon, is the camping there better? as opposed to the swamp?
MadDiver
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking