Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Where to pickup permit?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Where to pickup permit?

Postby Pack Dad » Mon May 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Coming from the big oak flat enterance, where can I pickup my permit? I'd prefer not to go all the way down to Yosemite Valley. Our enterance trail is white wolf to Pate valley. Also, any suggestions on a motel, budget, to stay the night prior that's within 20 miles or so? I know we can stay at a backpackers camp but we'd like a bed the eve before hiking in.

Thanks in advance

Edit: looks like there is a permit station at the Big Oak entrance but lodging is tough. Tuolumne tent cabins are, predictably, all booked. Ugh. I miss the old days when one didn't have to plan things 6+ months in advance.
Pack Dad

Re: Where to pickup permit?

Postby balzaccom » Tue May 26, 2015 11:35 am

There is a wilderness office at Big Oak Flat---it's a piece of cake

There are some reasonable places to stay in Buck Meadows, about 15 minutes outside the park entrance.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave_Ayers » Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 am

I've stayed at the Westgate, it's a basic motel, but not at the Riverside. IMO, rates in the area are rather high for what you get at around ~$200 a night IIRC (location, location). For more character, you might check out places in Groveland like the old Groveland Hotel.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed May 27, 2015 8:55 am

If you have a permit, you can stay in the backpacker camp at Tuolumne or in Yosemite Valley. For a bed try Tioga Resort just outside the Tioga gate.

What no one is mentioning and you have not confirmed as whether the permit was reserved. If you have a reserve permit, you can pick it up at the entrance. If you are doing a walk in it would probably be best to be at the office that has priority over the area you were trying to reserve in. Sounds like that would be Tuolumne. If so, getting in line early AM is best.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Pack Dad » Wed May 27, 2015 9:11 am

Thanks for the replies and info. Our permit is reserved so I'll just pick it up the day before at the enterance. Rates for motels do seem pricey, but I guess that's what to expect.
Pack Dad

Postby balzaccom » Wed May 27, 2015 3:11 pm

If you do pick it up, then you can stay in the backpacker campground.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking