Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Snow Levels

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Snow Levels

Postby weendoggy » Thu May 28, 2015 6:31 am

Just got back yesterday from a day hike to Nevada Fall. Not as many hikers as I thought, but maybe due to mid-week. Water running about mid July force, so I suspect a dry year in the high country. Met a couple from Europe that had just come down from Vogelsang and Echo Valley via Merced Lake. They got disoriented in the snow pack at Vogelsang and Tuolumne. They said it was knee to waist high in areas. Lots of climbing out of their tracks. Lady even fell in a few creeks due to snow cover. One 16mi day was enough for her and she was done. Three nights out for them. They were in good spirits and I told them what a great adventure. The male said you just have to make the best of it. Anyway, going now will have some good snow pack in the higher areas it seems.
weendoggy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Snow Levels

Postby mbaze » Fri May 29, 2015 11:56 am

Hmm. Wondering what Lyell Fork will be like. Hitting the trail next Wednesday for three nights. Was planning on cold, but not copious amounts of snow.
mbaze

Postby weendoggy » Fri May 29, 2015 6:21 pm

I think you'll be ok. The couple went up the Lyell fork instead of the Vogelsang trailhead and said that was ok until they made the uphill trek to Boothe and Vogelsang.
weendoggy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby CheroCzech » Sat May 30, 2015 4:51 am

Hmmm. On Monday we are headed up Ilillouette then over Red Peak Pass to Washburn Lake. Curious what the conditions are over the pass. Wilderness station couldn't tell me much when I called.
CheroCzech

Postby weendoggy » Sat May 30, 2015 7:13 am

CheroCzech wrote:Hmmm. On Monday we are headed up Ilillouette then over Red Peak Pass to Washburn Lake. Curious what the conditions are over the pass. Wilderness station couldn't tell me much when I called.

My guess is if you do have snow, it'll be over Red Peak Pass. Ilillouette looked pretty dry as the fall from Mist Trail was very weak for this time of year. Keep us informed, I'm curious as well.
weendoggy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby robow8 » Sat May 30, 2015 2:58 pm

A couple of posts from the JMT Yahoo group:

Just FYI - I went over Red Peak Pass 2 days ago (11K feet, roughly the same elevation and aspect as Donahue). It was nearly snow-free on the south side, with deep snow on the North side down to around 9500 feet. I was hoping to go over Isberg pass as well but turned around at about 2pm and headed back towards Lake Merced.

I was wearing trail runners with Dirty girl gaiters and my feet got nice and wet coming down from Red Peak pass in the late morning soft snow conditions. Wet feet is not that big a deal in warm weather - they mostly dried out once I got down low but then they got wet again repeatedly as I crossed streams and went through patchy wet snow and then some deep postholing as I headed up towards Isberg pass. I turned around about 2-3 miles before Isberg due to postholing/difficulty finding trail, as well as what looked like possible thunderstorm activity over the pass. I had wet feet most of the day, but they were relatively dry once I got down below the snowline again and did not create any problems aside from some minor temporary discomfort.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about wet feet as long as the weather is warm. Just have some dry socks to change into at camp. If you are not bringing camp shoes (I don't), a cheap and easy trick is to put bread bags over your dry socks in camp, so your socks stay dry and feet stay warm inside your wet shoes. There is still a lot of snow above 10k feet especially on north facing slopes, but in 2 weeks there may be much less.

I was following tracks all the way down from Red Peak Pass in the snow. It looked like 2-3 people had been there recently and tracks were anywhere from a few inches depth to 2 foot deep postholing. Snow was not powdery at all, it was wet and consolidated, firmer up high and softer/wetter as I went down, but wet enough at the pass that my feet were wet almost immediately. I did not bring ice axe or traction devices, and was fine without them. I did have poles with snow baskets which I was glad to have. I reached the pass at around 11 am I think, at this time it was soft enough that I probably could have glissaded down but did not want to risk an injury given that I was alone and had not seen anyone all day. I imagine it would have been quite icy in the early morning, and I did not want to carry crampons/axe, so I made sure to get there after it had had some time to soften up. By 1-2pm I was postholing much deeper, which contributed to my decision to turn back.
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby emilyw » Sun May 31, 2015 11:52 am

CheroCzech wrote:Hmmm. On Monday we are headed up Ilillouette then over Red Peak Pass to Washburn Lake. Curious what the conditions are over the pass. Wilderness station couldn't tell me much when I called.

Please do write an update if you have the time! I'm planning on hiking Illilouette to Red Peak Pass in two weeks, would appreciate hearing about the conditions out there.
emilyw

Postby CheroCzech » Sun May 31, 2015 5:10 pm

emilyw wrote:Please do write an update if you have the time! I'm planning on hiking Illilouette to Red Peak Pass in two weeks, would appreciate hearing about the conditions out there.

No problem, EmilyW. I get back to civilization this Friday and will try to answer your questions.
CheroCzech

Postby CheroCzech » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:15 pm

There is still a good amount of snow on the north side of Red Peak Pass until 10,280 feet. I hiked over the pass on June 2nd along with my brother (38 years old) and mother (60 years old). We began the day at the Merced Pass Lake trail junction. I believe it is 6.1 miles to Red Peak pass from there. The trail up the southern face only crosses a couple of very small patches of snow near Upper Ottoway. Nothing tricky. Fortunately the weather cooperated, because we didn't reach the pass until after 2:00 (more on that later). With no thunderstorms in sight, we lined our shoes with trash bags, strapped on the gators, and duct taped our pants around the ankle. This was very effective and kept our feet warm. I hike in the Inov-8 Roclite 280. My brother hikes in some Soloman trail runners, and my mom wears a more traditional Merril hiking boot. Make sure you have waterproof gloves of some sort. I just wore some ultralight North Face overmittens and I was cozy. We did not need crampons, but they might be necessary for earlier attempts before it warms up. Sorry I can't help there.

The snow is only heavy the first 2-2.5 miles. After the first mile, you can start to make your way from one rock outcropping to another. Expect ankle deep snow 65% of the time, shin deep 20%, knee deep 10%, and up to the crotch 5%. Going single file, I would kick snow into each of my brother's tracks to firm it up even more. My mom did the same behind me and it made her footing sure. It's crucial that you find the trail as it bends southeast at 10,280 feet.

Although it was technical, it was a blast! If you go, I recommend you follow our butt tracks right off the top where we glassaded. Just head for the small lakes below. Be safe.

Finally, I strongly recommend camping at Lower Ottoway the night before. We only camped at Merced Pass Lakes trail junction because we had run out of steam -- we started that day around 10:00 from Yosemite Valley on 30 minutes of rest the night before due to cancelled flights and the airline misplacing one of our packs.
CheroCzech

Postby emilyw » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:21 pm

Wow CheroCzech, thank you for all of the great information! We were really in denial about the amount of snow out there and it's good to get a reality check. Too bad about your travel troubles - losing a pack is always a fear of mine - but it sounds like it worked out. Hope good times were had by all!
emilyw

Postby CheroCzech » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Good times after Day 1. Amazing what a night of sleep will do. Please don't let me discourage you from taking the pass. It's totally manageable, and postholing is not exhausting going downhill... just time consuming. Have a blast! I'm jealous. Keep dry. Start early.
CheroCzech

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking