Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

best hike only one day

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

best hike only one day

Postby betsylwhs » Thu May 28, 2015 7:31 am

hello! I'm doing a week backpacking trip in July. I have a day in the valley (staying at upper pines) before we head to the backcountry (we're hiking the southwest corner area). Looking for advice on whether to do the vernal falls, etc day hike or the panorama hike. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!
betsylwhs

Re: best hike only one day

Postby balzaccom » Thu May 28, 2015 8:45 am

There are so many good choices...it really depends on what you want to see. Vernal and Nevada Falls is a classic, but will have the most people.

One option might be to take the bus to Glacier Point, then down hike to Nevada Falls, and back to the Valley. Or you could also do the Four Mile Trail the same way.

if you have a car, Sentinel Dome and Taft Point is a shorter, but quite wonderful bit of walking. It's only a few miles.

And I always love just walking one of the trails out into the huge meadows of the valley--almost nobody does this--and you have a wonderful spot to see it all, far from the madding, and maddening, crowd.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby weendoggy » Thu May 28, 2015 3:47 pm

My choice would be the Panorama Trail from Glacier to the Valley. See more, and no retracing steps. However, as mentioned, you need to get a ride to Glacier. Start early, the western exposure along the trail from Glacier is wide open. Hike the cool morning air, much better than direct sun and heat. imo
weendoggy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri May 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Do you mean the southeast corner, Buena Vista loop? or Hetch Hetchy?

In July, I would head for Tuolumne Meadows or plan a float down the river. The valley is mighty hot in July - low elevation is like that. Many of the hikes involve steep uphill and the Panorama trail is quite exposed. If hiking trails around the valley, a very early start to avoid head and crowds is recommended. The Four Miles Trail down from Glacier Point would be a nice shaded option.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking