Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Glen Aulin / May Lake - 30 weeks pregnant

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Glen Aulin / May Lake - 30 weeks pregnant

Postby portlandmatt » Fri May 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Hello esteemed group of Yosemite-lovers. I'll be 30 weeks pregnant during a scheduled trip to the Yosemite High Sierra camps (Glen Aulin and May Lake). I'm very physically fit and in my recent doctor check-in, she indicated the biggest concern isn't physical fitness, it's actually the quality of the trail -- as pregnant women's balance gets thrown off a bit. Last year we did the south part of the HSC loop (Vogelsang, Merced, Sunrise) but don't know what to expect on the Glen Aulin/May Lake side. Specifically, can anyone offer insight into what the trails are like? Lots of bouldering and climbing over rocks? Pretty wide-open trails? Of course, I can see the elevation profiles and some photos, but nowhere can I find information about this type of information. I won't be carrying a pack (I have my husband and kids to thank for that). By way of comparison, the hike to Vogelsang from Tuolomne, while a large elevation gain, was not that bad - fairly well maintained trails. The hike DOWN to Merced would be tougher since there's a part where it's pretty steep with boulders/rocks/etc. The the hike from Merced to Sunrise was quite easy/smooth as well. Then the hike down to Tuolomne from Sunrise was also rougher.

I appreciate any/all insight you can offer. Thanks in advance!
portlandmatt

Re: Glen Aulin / May Lake - 30 weeks pregnant

Postby AlmostThere » Fri May 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Yosemite trails tend to be freeways by comparison to other trails. I doubt you will find anything different than what you already hiked. There will be granite steps, possibly downed trees not yet cleared (lots of trees dying off over the past year) and the usual ups and downs. Glen Aulin is downhill from Tuolumne, and then you climb out to head for other destinations. I don't recall any drastic elevation changes in that section of the loop comparable to the drop from Vogelsang to Merced.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Fri May 29, 2015 6:19 pm

There are some steps, but this is not a rough trail. You should be fine. AT is wise to raise the issue of downed trees....but a lot of this hike isn't actually through much of a forest...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Fri May 29, 2015 9:02 pm

Toss in my two cents, since I head to both places every June. Not sure when you are going, but the trail from Toulumne to Glen Aulin is very wide open, very similar to what you have already experienced. There a few semi-steep downhill sections along the river to Glen Aulin, but as stated it is going down steps. Just as you enter the Glen Aulin area you have a pretty good drop on a bit of a funky rocky trial, but nowhere near rock hopping, just some big downhill steps. You climb out the same way, and when you get past Raisin Lake(barely visible from the trail) you have a decent climb up to May Lake, very similar to the climb on the Rafferty Trail to Vogelsang, or the last 3/4 mile climb if you took Lyell Canyon, but a touch longer.
Because it is a High Sierra Camp route and they bring in supplies daily, I doubt you would have any issues with trees, as they would clear them almost the same day. Your biggest problem will be dodging the horse stuff from the supply trains :mrgreen:
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby transponster » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:57 pm

I hiked throughout my pregnancy on all kinds of terrain. I HIGHLY recommend using trekking poles.
transponster
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking