Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Sierra High Route

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Sierra High Route

Postby jgaffney » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:29 am

I read Steve Roper's book on his alternative to the JMT. I don't have time to hike the whole trail, but I dreamed up this loop:

Hike from Tuolumne Meadows down to Thousand Island Lake. Then, leaving the JMT, hike southwest over North Glacier Pass to Twin Island Lakes, west to Blue Lake and over Blue Lake Pass, and continue west to the trail along the rim of the Merced River Canyon. Then, hike north through Lewis Creek, up over Vogelsang Pass, and back to Tuolumne Meadows along Rafferty Creek. Here's a trail map: http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u90/jgaffney_2007/Hiking/Sierra%20High%20Route%205-Day%20Trip_zpsprokc16n.jpg

All of this seems doable except for the descent from Lake Catherine across the canyon to Twin Island Lakes. Roper cautions about the Class 3 terrain in this reach but, after looking at it in Google Earth, it looks pretty exciting. Does anyone else have any experience in this area?

Thanks for your help.
jgaffney
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Sierra High Route

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:34 am

I would heed the caution. When reading the recommendations of climbers or very experienced cross country backpackers, I always multiply the level of difficulty mentioned by two. Those of us with no climbing experience will think it's harder than stated.

I always have rope so when climbing anything I can drag my pack up after me, and never go solo on cross country.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking