Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Winter storm in September?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Winter storm in September?

Postby mozierfamily » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:01 pm

We've been planning for some time on being up in Tuolumne Meadows this weekend but the weather forecasts are obviously a concern to us. Not sure if we're up for a snow camping trip this time around! If we wanted to change itineraries, does anyone have a recommendation of a good 3-day/2-night trip at a lower elevation (warmer, less windy) that would be a good one for this weekend? Or do folks think it's still doable to be up at 8000-9000' elevation this weekend? Please feel free to chime in on this topic! Is anyone else in the same situation?
mozierfamily
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:34 am

Re: Winter storm in September?

Postby dan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:43 pm

Was just up there yesterday. Snowed 2" the night before in Tuolumne Meadows. Unexpected late summer storm, with more coming over the weekend.

Usually this time of year it's cold and maybe windy, but still dry.

For lower elevations, it may mean rain instead of snow. I think you're out of luck unless you can delay it a weekend (maybe--if the weather is better then).
User avatar
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:06 pm
Location: California, USA

Postby mozierfamily » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:09 pm

Thanks Dan for the advice. We changed our plans to a couple of 8000'-9200' elevation lakes in the Jennie Lakes Wilderness/Kings Canyon Nat'l Park area. We had a great time but did get about 4 inches of snow on Saturday, after which the sun came out on Sunday to melt the snow along the return trail.
mozierfamily
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:34 am


Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests