Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Echo Creek to Cathedral Fork

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Echo Creek to Cathedral Fork

Postby conway » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:39 am

I am planning a three nighter from Nelson Lake to Echo Valley to Happy Isles. I would to descend Echo Creek to the confluence with Cathedral Fork, and pick up the main trail there. Has anyone successfully descended Echo Creek all the way? Topo map suggests it is steep. Is this feasible/advisable? If not, what is fastest way (time) to get to Merced Lake from Nelson Lake?
conway

Re: Echo Creek to Cathedral Fork

Postby weendoggy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:06 pm

The path from Nelson Lk. to the Sunrise HSC area (you should come up just NE of it) is not that difficult. You'll leave the outlet of Nelson and head almost due W below the Matthes Crest. It's sparsly wooded and you'd come out just S of Matthes Lake, which is very open there. From there follow the outlet to the Cathedral fork. I've done this in both directions and the worst part was near the trail due to dense trees/brush, but not difficult. From there, it's pretty much a straight shot. If you want to head over the ridge toward Vogelsang, you can cross-country that route as well. Leaving Nelson almost due S you'll come upon some big rocky terrain that you can pick your way up (near 10794) and over then traverse down a huge granite base to the trail and head to Merced Lk. Some have suggested Nelson to Fletcher, but I haven't done that so I can't comment.
weendoggy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby conway » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:48 pm

Thanks WD. Do you have enough experience in the area to hazard a guess on hike time from Nelson to Emeric Lake ? I am guessing it is about 3miles.
conway

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:13 am

The first half of that hike is pretty straightforward, but it is off trail. Follow the valley up to Reymann Lake, and then over the pass. Once over the pass, you can strike a diagonal down to hit the Rafferty Creek Trail quite near Tuolumne Pass. From there to Emeric is a piece of cake. But if you are planning to camp at Emeric, the best sites are accessed from the southeast, around and up the inlet creek to the west side of the lake. That will add some time to your hike. There are some less attractive sites on the ridge east of the lake.

I'd give this at least three hours, maybe four. I seem to remember that we started at Nelson and ate lunch at Tuolumne Pass. We're old and slow, but still...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby weendoggy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:29 pm

All the hiking from Nelson Lk south to the trail south of Vogelsang is cross country. I tend to go S instead of up over Reymann Lk. Less hiking for sure. You can hit the crest/pass (whatever you want to call it) just N of peak 10794. A lot of climbing up large granite slabs, but nothing that can't be done without a pack. Just pick your way. On the S side, it's a very large granite slope that'll take you down to the trail. From there, it is definately a cake walk (that is if you have cake). I've gone that route to Vogelsang in less than three hours and wasn't pushing, so I think three hours would be adequate.
weendoggy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking