Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Need a ride from Glacier Point

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Need a ride from Glacier Point

Postby Myna76 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:00 am

Hi Everyone,

We are a Swiss family and we will be in Yosemite in August. We would like to make the Panorama Trail on August 10th, but upward. We would start from the bottom, in the valley, and would hike up to Glacier point. Problem: no bus nor shuttle can drive us back to the valley. I called the transportation but they confirmed no bus would take us back.

I am thinking of bringing our car up to Glacier Point on August 9th, in the afternoon, leave it there for the night , and I would need a ride to bring me back down to the valley. :?: I would do it on my own, and leave my husband and children down, in the valley, so I would be alone.

Do you think someone being with his/her car at glacier point on August, Sunday 9th, in the afternoon, could be so gentle and bring me back down to the valley, at any point (then I would take the shuttle to go back to our staying place) ?

If someone is willing to help me, I will provide you my details (name, tel number and email address).

Thank you in advance :wink:
Myna76

Re: Need a ride from Glacier Point

Postby Dave_Ayers » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Seems to be some confusion here. The Panaorama Trail is from Glacier Point towards Nevada Falls. To hike it, you can either take the Hiker's Bus to Glacier Point and hike to Nevada and Vernal Falls then down to the Valley and catch the shuttle to your starting point. Or you can head up the Falls Trail can head towards Illiloute and the Panorama Trail and Glacier Point from Nevada Falls.

Or you can hike from the Valley up the Four Mile Trail (actually ~4.8mi) to Glacier Point and then do the above sections. This is almost 14 mi total if you start from Yosemite Lodge.

It sounds like you want to hike only the Four Mile Trail from the Valley up to Glacier Point and get a bus ride back. It doesn't say on the Hiker Bus website if they take folks back down. I'd call and ask, perhaps they do. The web site is at http://www.yosemitepark.com/glacier-point-tour.aspx . Alternatives would be to take the bus up and hike down or to hike both up and down assuming you really wanted to hike the Four Mile Trail

In any event, I don't think they are allowing cars on the Glacier Point road past Badger Pass this year from 10-4:30. You can park at Badger and catch a free shuttle to/from Glacier Point from there.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Myna76 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Dear Dave,

Thank you for answering :wink:

I assure you there is no confusion. We do not want to do the four mile trail, we would like to do the panorama trail; starting from Happy Isle, and going up to Glacier Point (we are used to do such hikes -more than 1'000 meter elevation range- in the Swiss Alps).

I called the Tour and Activity Desk in the park, and they confirmed there is no bus nor shuttle to get us back, but they confirmed we can leave our car all night long for the next day at the Glacier Point parking.

It is up to me to find someone up there to drive me back to the valley :wink: And I truly hope I could find someone.

Thank you if you know anyone who could help me....

Cheers.
Myna76

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:35 am

I would take the car up, hike diwn the four mile trail, and do the panorama the next day as planned.

Actually I would get one way tickets for the Glacier point tour bus - there is one, no idea why it wasn't mentioned - and ride to glacier point then hike the panorama the other way.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Myna76 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:58 pm

Yes, that is a pretty good idea :o :wink: I did not think about it !

I think we might do this way.

Thank you for your help :wink:
Myna76

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking