Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Possible to change trip leader?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Possible to change trip leader?

Postby assortedtrailmix » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi,

I can't seem to find an answer to this question on the NPS or Yosemite Conservancy sites, or to get through to the Backcountry Office.

Is changing the trip leader listed on a permit possible?

Many thanks!
assortedtrailmix

Re: Possible to change trip leader?

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:16 am

This is really going to depend on the wilderness ranger you get. You may be able to explain that your brother/boyfriend/uncle got the permit, but couldn't make the trip, and they might let you fill your name in. It would be easier if your name is listed on the permit already. I doubt you would get much resistance from that one.

And given that the permit your companion requested is now void, you might be able to convince them to give you a "walk-up" permit for the same trip, since there is now space in the quota.

Technically? You need a new permit. And how that is handled will depend on the ranger.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Possible to change trip leader?

Postby rockstare25 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:17 am

Yes, you can change the trip leader! (I just did it yesterday so that my sister could pick up our wilderness permit since she was arriving earlier than me). I also had a hard time trying to look up if I could do it and if I needed to if I wanted someone else to pick up the wilderness permit.

You can call this number that is listed on the permit (209) 372-0740 between 9 AM and 4 PM. I called several times before it actually went through and started ringing, so you'll just have to be patient with that. You need to have the permit number and the contact information of the person you want to be the trip leader - you'll need that person's address and phone number. I might have confirmed somehow that I was the original trip leader - maybe with my current address? I can't really remember, but it was really easy to do.

Good luck if you haven't found a solution already!
rockstare25
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking