Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

How close?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

How close?

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:30 am

On our last backpacking trip, after spending a couple of days off trail and away from people, we arrived at a nice lake that is on a regular trail, seven miles in from the trailhead. Yep, we were going to have company here.

So we set up camp on a sandy ridge to the northwest of the lake, nestling our small grey tent in among a cluster of small trees. It was nicely obscured from view. That was a mistake. Nobody saw us there, and as other hiking groups arrived, they set up camp right next door. By nightfall we had four other groups camping near us, including two who were within 75 feet. The rest of the lake was empty, except for one group of young men on the far side.

So here's the question. When you arrive at a lake, which campsite do you take? If there is nobody there, do you take the best one? We do. But if someone is already set up at the best campsite do you take the second best site, even if it is quite close to the first one? Or do you follow the bus seating rule, which says that you take the site farthest from the person who is already set up?

And if you are third? Do you fill in the space, or do you try to find something farther away?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: How close?

Postby Grzldvt » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:19 pm

I try to steer clear of anyone. If they have the best site in the place good for them. I really don't want the campground experience in the back country, and respect the distance. Heck, I don't put my tent within 100 feet of my hiking partners, if I can help it
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: How close?

Postby Phil » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:43 pm

That's always a tough one! Etiquette means a lot of different things to different people...It's a desolate wilderness experience for some, but others still need to know that there are some other people around, not to mention everyone having to make what's available in limited situations work out. Since we can, we always grab the best spot if we're first on the scene, but how do you even begin to tell someone what sites they can or can't take? You just kind of have to hope that the idea of how you want to camp is shared by others around you. Rule of thumb: unless we're dog tired and run out of time and need to crash almost anywhere that will work , or what we need to even function realistically is limited, even though someone else is close by, we try to stay out of sight. But mostly, when we can, we try to get off the beaten path and/or hike less impacted trails, and we unwaveringly follow what we call the ten minute rule: we hike- we drop our packs and rest for about ten minutes- then we head out to look for our site. And, we usually find what we're looking for with a whole lot less desperation to take whatever comes along easily than if we just came in and went right to what we obviously thought would be our best choice.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking