Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Camp sites in LYV

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Camp sites in LYV

Postby conway » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:29 pm

I am planning a three nighter from Tuolumne to Happy Isles. I haven't been down Echo Valley/LYV and thought it would be a good a point-to-point. But I am leery of crowds and mule trains. What is likelihood of finding a decent camp site in LYV campground on a Sat night? Since I am catching the 1:30 Hiker Buss in Curry Village, I don't want to camp to far up the valley. Alternatively, are there camp sites in Lost Valley before the water falls?

Is Merced lake camp ground worth the people and bears that go with them? Or is Merced ranger station area better idea?

Finally, what trail is used by mule-trains to supply Merced HSC? I want the avoid that scourge of the high country.
conway

Re: Camp sites in LYV

Postby forestplay » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:59 pm

This may be late, but I was just there last week.

A fire burned most of LYV last year and it's badly damaged to the foot bridge below Bunnell Point. Unless that appeals to you, I wouldn't recommend camping beyond the backpackers camp. There is lots of space at the LYV backpackers camp. You may need to share a steel bear box. People are generally friendly and willing to share space.

You could camp in Echo Valley, no problem there.

We saw three mule trains between Bunnell Point and Merced Lake heading to that HSC. Passing them is a non-event. Step off the trail for a moment and say hello to the driver. Their droppings are present on the trail all the way to the valley. Again, it's mostly a non-event. Just watch where you step. Just another loose rock.

-Bob
forestplay
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking