Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First time backpacking in Yosemite - please help

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First time backpacking in Yosemite - please help

Postby Alchemist » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi, I'm going to Yosemite in early August. It’s a short trip but my first time backpacking there, so I hope to sort some things out before leaving. I’d really appreciate it if any experienced backpackers could answer my questions.

My entry trailhead is Happy Isles to Illilouette and exit trailhead is Glacier Point to Illilouette. Here’s my plan:
Day 1: Arrive in Yosemite and spend the night at the backpackers campground
Day 2: Enter the Happy Isles to Illilouette trail and camp at Illilouette Basin
Day 3: Leave for the Glacier Point (via Panorama Trail), take Four Mile Trail and then the shuttles to Yosemite Valley. Overnight at the backpackers campground.

Here are my questions:
1. Are there any major problems in my itinerary? I know my route is opposite to the popular one (most people go from Glacier Point to Illilouette or Little Yosemite Valley), but I cannot get the permit for Glacier Point to Illilouette as the entry trailhead.
2. Water source: will there still be water in Illilouette Creek in early August or should I bring water for cooking?
3. Bear canister: Are the ones rented at the permit station in different sizes?
4. Topographic map: Does the wilderness center or permit station at the Valley sell topographic maps?

Thank you!
Alchemist
Regular
Regular

Re: First time backpacking in Yosemite - please help

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 pm

1. Are there any major problems in my itinerary? I know my route is opposite to the popular one (most people go from Glacier Point to Illilouette or Little Yosemite Valley), but I cannot get the permit for Glacier Point to Illilouette as the entry trailhead.

Yep--your itinerary seems perfectly reasonable. You'll probably end up camping somewhere up along Illilouette Creek, and then hiking back down towards Glacier Point the next day.

2. Water source: will there still be water in Illilouette Creek in early August or should I bring water for cooking?

That's a long way to tote water. There should be some water in the creek.

3. Bear canister: Are the ones rented at the permit station in different sizes?

Nope--they usually just rent the old Garcia cans. plenty of room for everything you need for an overnight trip. If it seems too large, remember that you can put other stuff in there as well,...

4. Topographic map: Does the wilderness center or permit station at the Valley sell topographic maps?

Yep--and also Nat Geo and Tom Harrison maps, as I recall. Plenty of maps to choose from. Although unless you are planning to go way off trail, you won't need many maps on this hike---these trails are very popular and very well marked.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby weendoggy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:46 am

My only suggestion is getting an early start when leaving Illilouette for GP. That east facing slope can be brutal unless you do it early to miss direct sun. It can warm up fast.
weendoggy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Alchemist » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:27 pm

Thank you both, for answering my questions and offering suggestions.
Alchemist
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking