Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

8 days hiking in a row, please help planing

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

8 days hiking in a row, please help planing

Postby luchopatagonico » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi, my wife and i are going to Yosemite in October and we are planing to do an 8 day trip, we have plenty of experience and gear. we could be in better shape but we are ready to hike with our heavy backpacks. the problem is that i really have no idea where to go. there is to much information and everything sounds awesome. any information, suggestion or advise regarding itinerary will be greatly appreciated.
luchopatagonico

Re: 8 days hiking in a row, please help planing

Postby Grzldvt » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:48 pm

Keep in mind the roads close for overnight parking October 15th, if you plan on starting and finishing in the park. While October's weather can be spectacular, and I have never had any issues in the 25 years I have been doing October trips, others have had less than pleasant experiences. You need to be prepared for potential snow storms and rain.
Since this is the first time in the park, I always recommend the High Sierra Loop with an extra day or two as layovers for day hikes. Park in the T-Meadows Wilderness permit lot
Day One Glen Aulin - With the River down, a nice hike, if we get storms in September and October a great hike. Good for acclimation

May Lake - Steady uphill climb from Glen Aulin - Spend two days and spend one day hiking to the top of Hoffman

Sunrise - Hefty climb from May Lake - Enjoy the area, has some nice areas for photos.

Sunrise to Merced - Day Hike around the lake and out to Washburn, if you have time. Some nice scenery along the hike.

Merced to Voglesang - Spend two days at Vogelsang... It will be self explanatory when you get there. For Day Hikes Vogelsang Peak and back tracking out to the spectacular views to just absorb what you hiked past, or just hang around Vogelsang and cross country to anything that spins your beanie. I prefer the Lyell route out as I think for the most part it is more scenic, but others have their preferences.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:19 am

I would just add that for an eight day trip in October, you better have a weather report that is absolutely perfect and never wrong.

It can easily dump a foot of snow in October, obliterating all the trails and making life considerably more difficult.

We usually take shorter trips (why not two shorter trips?) for exactly this reason. you wont' have much company, and being three days in when it starts to snow is not a great feeling.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby luchopatagonico » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:33 pm

i have nothin against doing to shorter loops either. i am open to suggestions. i really appreciate your help guys, thanks .
luchopatagonico

Postby luchopatagonico » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:30 pm

what do you guys think about this two options:

1-tuolumne to glen aulin
2- glen aulin to may lake
3-may lake to sunrise
4- sunrise to merced lake
5- merced lake to vogeslang
6-vogeslang to tuolumne

that is one option weather permitting.
the other one is two shorter loops:
1 tuolumne-glen aulin
2 glena aulin-may lake
3- may lake- sunrise
4- sunrise- cathedral lakes-
5- cathedral lakes- tuolumne

and 1- tuolumnes- vogelsang
2-vogelsang- tuolumne via jmt (spending an extra night on vogelsang)

what do you think about these would i be missing much if don't get to see merced lake?
is it vogelsang that great?
i ve been trying to decide but eveything sounds and looks amazing.
luchopatagonico

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking