Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Wilderness multi-day hike question...

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Wilderness multi-day hike question...

Postby JdBSound » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi all so just found this forum and figured since i am planning my most recent Yosemite trip id see if anyone had any thoughts...is there a good way to get from Waterwheel Falls to either (first choice) Clouds Rest or (second choice) Yosemite Creek thru all wilderness? i will be solo'ing so i'd say Tenaya Canyon is out this time around (although it is on the future To-Do List) my out is in the Valley so was wondering if any one had done a similar thru before i have a pretty good idea of how but would love to hear from the hive mind ...thanks!

JdB
JdBSound
Regular
Regular

Re: Wilderness multi-day hike question...

Postby transponster » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:15 pm

From Waterwheel, if you were to go back to Glen Aulin and then south via Murphy Creek, it's about 10 miles until you reach Tenaya Lake. From there you have a few options:

1. Sunrise TH to Clouds Rest, exiting via Happy Isles. This would be about 15 miles (from Tenaya Lake to HI).

2. Take the Snow Creek trail and then go around Indian ridge and out the Yosemite falls trail, which would be about 17 miles. But I think it would be a shame to go that way and not take the side trip to North Dome, which would add a few miles.

3. Exit via the Snow Creek trail down to Mirror Lake (or Meadow or whatever it is). That would only be about 10 miles from Tenaya Lake, and the top of the Snow Creek trail has great views. If you go this way, make sure you go out on the point immediately west of Snow Creek Falls, right after you cross the footbridge and before you start heading down the switchbacks. Or better yet, take the off trail detour to Mt. Watkins.
transponster
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:00 am

Yeah, Transponster pretty much nailed it, but you'll want to make sure you have the right permits since you'll technically be leaving one trail head and entering another when you cross Tioga Rd. When you pick up your permit, tell the ranger what you want to do and ask them to get creative. But yeah, for Cloud's Rest- backtrack to Glen Aulin, up to Murphy Creek, cross the road to Sunrise Trailhead. Up and over Cloud's Rest to the JMT and LYV, exit Happy Isles. For your second choice consider these: Yosemite Creek via either 10 Lakes Basin, or continue past Waterwheel down the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne to Pate Valley, up to White Wolf, Lukens Lake down to Yosemite Creek, exit Yosemite Falls or at the top of the falls, swing over toward Lehamite Creek and North Dome and head down Snow Creek to the Valley. Have to say though, I would almost go so far as to make your second choice through either of the routes I suggested my first choice. It's a lot of climbing either way, but aside from that, both are what I would personally consider superior multi-day wilderness experiences.

btw: You might want to bring some rope and a basic rack for Tenaya Canyon, then treat it as a day hike.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby transponster » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:59 am

OP should not need an additional permit to reenter via Sunrise or Snow Creek (or Yosemite Creek or any other TH). Crossing Tioga within an itinerary is ok. However, if they were to hitch a ride over to a different TH, or stop at the TM store to pick up more food or something, then technically they are exiting the wilderness and would need a new permit to reenter.

ETA: GCT to Yosemite Creek would be about 33-ish miles to the valley from Waterwheel. 10 Lakes basin would be (I believe) a rugged x-country route from Waterwheel. I'm not sure what that would be like, but if OP is up for Tenaya canyon, maybe they are up for that too. All that is above my preferred level of adventure!
transponster
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:36 am

Yes, crossing the road is something that I've never found to be a problem at all, but is still something that the rangers usually need to work out in their minds to issue the right permit for. You're there anyhow, so might as well get what you need with full blessings.

10 Lakes from Waterwheel would be an "interesting" cross-country route. But just like Tenaya Canyon, I guess you could die there, too. Using trails though, you can backtrack to Glen Aulin, head up towards May Lake, cut off on the 10 Lakes trail, climb up to Tuolumne Peak, camp up at the tarns towards the top or head over to the other side and maybe find some camping on the ledges before the switchbacks or go down to South Fork of Cathedral Creek and find more good spots there, climb a lot more, then drop into 10 Lakes Basin, then head down to the Yosemite Creek trailhead and into the Valley.. You're certainly going to be "multi-day", and "wilderness", and you're going to test your mettle in the process. Shoot, now you've got me looking at my topos to try to figure out how to get up to 10 Lakes from GCT and how much it's going to hurt to do it. Thanks! :shock:
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby JdBSound » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks all for the replies and ideas! and you nailed it Phil this is a trip to test the mettle for sure! In all I'll be spending 21days in the park and as of now all but 6 days will be spent in the wilderness.
JdBSound
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking