Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Good intermediate 2 night trip?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Good intermediate 2 night trip?

Postby TommyJ » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:35 am

Hey all, new to the forum.
I have not backpacked in Yosemite and the number of options is kind of overwhelming. My daughter and I are looking for a good 2 night backpacking route and we would be going next week sometime. It would be nice to have a combo of trees, open areas, vista views and maybe some rock crawling. Some fishing along the way would be great too(stream preferred but lake is fine). If it turns into 3 nights, oh well right? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do understand that we need to get permits for the days and trail head so its kinda short notice. Thanks much! :)
TommyJ

Re: Good intermediate 2 night trip?

Postby TommyJ » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:56 pm

Ok so Ive spent some time on the Yosemite website and I think I'm narrowing it down to Ten Lakes or Young Lakes. Any thoughts on those destinations?
TommyJ

Postby balzaccom » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:17 pm

How old is your daughter? Young Lakes is an easier hike than Ten Lakes...because that section up over the ridge before Ten Lakes is hot and steep. But the views from the top of that ridge are great!

Meanwhile, Young lakes is also nice. Best fishing I had was at the lower lake, at the outlet creek. Both hikes offer some good places to set up and base camp and explore from there. Don't day-hike to Roosevelt Lake from Young Lakes for the fishing...there are no fish in Roosevelt Lake. But it's a cool hike.

We have trip reports on both of these on our website, including links to our Picasa logs of both trips.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:51 pm

I lost some posts upgrading the phpbb software, but recovered them from my phone. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Dan

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by Phil • on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:29 pm

I would have to agree with Balzacomm on Young Lakes being easier, although I would consider that as just an overnight, unless you want to do two nights there for fishing and exploring. So much really does depend on your daughter's age and ability, as well as your willingness to push her at times if necessary. Ten Lakes is most likely going to be too much, and, IMO, best tackled over three nights, with a fairly strenuous climb in, and a series of long and arduous descents and ascents headed out if you're planning to take it as a loop back out to the May Lake trailhead or Murphy Creek. It's not that it's so long a hike, it's that in order to stay at Ten Lakes and get out in two nights, you have one day that has to be considerably longer and harder than the previous. The views are stellar though, and there's no shortage of fishing and places to explore when you get up to the basin.

Another thought for a two-night trip would be Sunrise trail from Tenaya Lake to Upper Sunrise Lake on night-one (excellent fishing...more like catching!) then back out the JMT to Upper Cathedral Lake on night two, then back down and out to Tuolumne Meadows

Posted by TommyJ • on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Phil wrote:Shoot, she's 20 and an adventure junkie? That changes things considerably. Photography? Ten lakes blows it all away...if you guys are up for it endurance-wise. If you can pull of a 3rd night, an overnight stop at the tarns below Tuolumne Peak offers a welcome rest, as well as some incredible views of the Pacific Crest.

Dang, Now you got me thinking I made the wrong choice with Young! Wonder if I can switch it. Plus you had me at Excellent fishing with the other trip you mentioned lol.

Posted by balzaccom • on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks for the kind words for the website.

I agree that if your daughter is 20 and up for an adventure, there are some other options. Look at a cross country route to Echo Lake or Nelson Lake...both are beautiful, far fewer people.

But all four of these hikes offer plenty of opportunities for stunning scenery, particularly with a base camp and Day Two dedicated to exploring the region in day hikes...you can't go wrong.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking