Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

2-4 day solo hike advice

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

2-4 day solo hike advice

Postby char » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi!

I'm visiting yosemite in early/mid october, I want to do a 2-4 day hike on one of the many trailheads. Would love to see some great views, and water etc.
I'm finding it hard to decide, I know the weather will be a big factor in fall.
Any suggestions on trails or routes?

Thanks!
Char
char
First-timer
First-timer

Re: 2-4 day solo hike advice

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:05 pm

Mid October is winter. Overnight parking is no longer permitted along Tioga Pass. Many services will be shut down. Anyone backpacking in October should be ready for winter conditions with snow chains/cables, adequate sleeping gear and shelter, and appropriate skills to handle navigating if the trail vanishes under snow.

If the predictions are accurate, this may be the year we see normal sierra weather return at last.

In any case, you'll self register for a permit, and likely start at one of the valley trailheads. Wawona would also be a possibility. Hetch hetchy is also possible, though the road may close with any snow until whatever falls melts. Valley roads are usually the most likely to be passable regardless.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: 2-4 day solo hike advice

Postby balzaccom » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:20 am

The other options would be either of the two Rim trails. Four mile trail to Glacier Point, then the Panorama Trail back down...or the Pohono Trail.

Or Up Yosemite Falls trail and down the Snow Creek Trail, with a detour to North Dome.

Both would achieve all of your goals, would leave from trailheads in the Valley itself, so they would be open...and most of this is below 8,000 feet or so, so the weather might not be as much of a factor.

But AT is wise to warn you. it can snow down to 5,000 feet in mid-October.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking