Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpacking partner for a 2-4 days hike in early October

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backpacking partner for a 2-4 days hike in early October

Postby ruljo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:36 pm

I am from Europe and have done a lot of hikes in the Alps but this will be my first time in Yosemite. I am flying to San Francisco on 2nd October, I will rent a car and camping equipment next day and drive to Yosemite on 3rd October. I have to drive back to SF on 9th October. In the meantime, I will do some day hikes because I want to see the most important sites (Yosemite valey, El Capitan, Half Dome, Glacier Point, maybe Tuolmine meadows etc.), but what I really want to do is a multi day hike for 2-4 days. I don't have a plan yet; I am still figuring out where to go and what to see but sleeping at Clouds Rest and hiking up Half Dome is something I would like to include in my plan.

I am used to hiking alone for days, I like climbing but I have only climbed on limestone in the Alps (sport and treat climbing) but never on granite (have no idea how to tackle granite cracks, never tried that but I heard it is something completely different).

Anyway, I am pretty flexible and open minded and looking for some company. I first and foremost want to enjoy the nature and see some beautiful scenery. I like to walk but I am not trying to break any barriers. I can walk all day with a few breaks in between, I like to walk uphill (I've been to 14.000ft+ several times alone) but I don't mind taking it easy if this is something you prefer to do.

So, if you fancy doing a few days hike sometime between 4th-8th October, let me know. Oh, and I am a guy, 35 years and looking for any company (male/female). I am an atheist and I don't mind respectful Christians but I don't want any religious fanatics (like "flat earth", creationist type of people) :)
ruljo

Re: Backpacking partner for a 2-4 days hike in early October

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:59 am

don't forget your half dome permit. I'm sure the Ranger will remind you when you go to pick up your wilderness permit, but you should know that it's not a guarantee that you will get one.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:40 pm

A few thoughts:

That's late in the year, and Tioga Road may well be closed to overnight parking if we get a few storms. Lassen National Park has already closed that road for snow this year--although it will probably re-open quite soon. So be prepared to adjust your route based on what the weather and roads allow.

You might look at a route that starts at Yosemite Falls, goes up the side of the Valley, across the North Rim to the East, and then down Snow Creek. Nothing there over about 8,000 feet, and because its mainly south facing, if there is snow it will melt sooner rather than later. This trail could be extended past Tenaya Lake to go over CLouds Rest and Half Dome...

The road to Glacier Point is currently closed. Another nice route would take you up the very steep (but short) Four-Mile trail to Glacier Point from the Valley, then across the Panorama Trail and down Merced Canyon past Nevada and Vernal Falls to the Valley. If you have extra time and energy, this route would allow you to add in a trip up Half Dome and even Clouds Rest, too.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:40 am

"...but I don't want any religious fanatics (like "flat earth", creationist type of people)"

That's too funny! You sound like you have some experience with this. I would go, but since I always like to say a short prayer at every trail junction, do a little primal screaming if it's been a hard day, constantly extol the virtues of American pickup trucks, incessantly check to see if I have cell reception or new texts, bash the metric system, rave about the many uses for corn until you know them as well as I do, spontaneously yell things like 'By Golly', 'Land-o-Goshen' and "Boy Howdy' for no apparent reason whatsoever, and ponder out loud whether it's the devil's work to have put so many peaks and valleys into the Lord's otherwise perfectly big, flat, mid-western scheme of things right before I dig into a nice bag of Chili Mac for dinner and smoke a Marlboro, I'm concerned that you might get a little annoyed at times.

I like Balzacomm's suggestion, but you can start that north rim trip from Tamarack Flat at Tioga Rd. and hike the entire route. You won't get so much uphill to speak of, but you'll get another night or two out of it, pass by El Cap, the top of Yosemite Falls, North Dome, and be sure to camp at the top of Snow Creek for the views of Tenaya Canyon. You'll end up in the Valley and have no problems getting back to your car on the shuttle. You're looking at about 28 miles of pretty easy trails on this one, with no shortage of nice campsites with great views at more than reasonable intervals. There should also be no problems with water sources along the way, but being a dry year, it's probably best to get the latest info from the rangers to make sure. Although you'll want to already be carrying a liter or two to start the trail off.

If you really need the uphill to feel fulfilled, an alternate route is to follow some version of the same trail (you can also begin at the bottom of the Falls Trail, as Balzacomm mentions) and cut off at the bridge on Snow Creek, head up to Sunrise Trailhead at the outlet of Tenaya Lake, passing Olmstead Point along the way there, climb to the top, go right and up to Cloud's Rest, and drop down to the Valley via Little Yosemite Valley (LYV), passing the Half Dome spur if that's a side-trip you want to take, and exit at Happy Isles.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ruljo » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi guys,

THANKS A LOT for the suggestions, I have drawn a line on my puny map of Yosemite I've got (I'll make sure to buy a new one in REI before I set of for Yosemite) and they won't let me sleep at night, I can't wait! Now I've basically got 3 different routes to choose from (but I guess that rangers will choose it for me once I apply for the wilderness permit - if I understood this point correctly). I'll post a report with pictures when I return and Balzacomm and Phil - I'll mail you each a beer from Slovenia if you send me your address somehow (I don't know if this forum allows personal messages). I really mean it! :)

And I'll rent a pick-up truck to get there, get a map with imperial units, buy Chili Mac and corn for the hike, just to make it a more memorable and original experience :) Not too sure about startig smoking but if I do, Marlboro is the way to go! :)

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

R.
ruljo

Postby Phil » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:13 pm

*** Update ***: Since the time of our original replies, I see that there's been a fire on the North Rim in the area of Lehamite Creek (below North Dome). It was contained at a bit over 400 acres, out as of several days ago, and all the trails in the area are now open, but be sure to get the latest from the rangers and be careful. It might diminish your shady walk experience a little and smell a bit, but given the huge amount of dead fall and undergrowth in that area, it really did need a good burn to clear it out, and that's a good thing from a management standpoint. Just move through it quickly and re-plan campsites accordingly.

Aside from that, the best maps to get from REI are going to be Tom Harrison Maps, in my opinion. Depending on if you want just one map ("Yosemite National Park") or two closer in and more detailed ("Yosemite High Country" and "Hetch Hetchy"). The scales are going to be either 1:125,000 or 1:63,360, respectively. You can open them up to see what's going to work best for you before you buy them.

They have Chili Mac too.

For October, I would think you could get a walk-up permit in person for that route at the permitting office when you enter the park at Big Oak Flat or at the Valley Wilderness Center and just skip the online reservation thing, especially with the recent fire. That's up to you though.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ruljo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:49 pm

I am back! :)
I started on Sunday late afternoon in the Valley and climbed up to Yosemite point and made my first camp there, the sunset views of Half Dome are the best from there. I continued along Yosemite Creek for the next couple of days to 10 lakes. I haven't seen anybody for 2,5 days and the scenery was just fantastic, I had the lakes just to myself. If I were religious, this is how my paradise would look like :) Too bad I had to continue and couldn't just stay there for a couple of days. I hiked to Tenaya lake and then climbed Clouds Rest just in time to see the sunset from the top. Clouds Rest has got the best view in all Yosemite and this was the highlight of the whole trip, I mean the view from up there is just unreal. The world seems to be nothing more than a scale model from up there and 100 foot trees mere toothpicks. I slept just off the ridge of Clouds Rest, woke up before sunset, climbed to the top again to see the first rays of the sun shine on Half Dome this marvelous mountain. Then I climbed Half Dome (the view from the top cannot compete with the 360°view from Clouds Rest but climbing it is quite adventurous. Another night at the backpackers camp and return to the valley.
In total, around 62 miles all together in 5 days.
Pictures from the hike: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ouq1km3ssj0g ... f0i1a?dl=0
ruljo

Postby balzaccom » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:27 pm

Great! So glad that it all worked out for you! And now that you know your way around a bit, you can come back and explore some of the other areas that we love in the park!

And I see that you saw some evidence of animals in the park...

Nice photo of the stars!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:07 am

I'm glad it worked out too. You really expanded your itinerary and made good time. Taking in 10 Lakes was a great addition, especially since you had it all to yourself.

It's hard not to find a little religion and spirituality in it all, isn't it? If there is a God, this is one of the places he still lives, and going there cleanses your soul and makes you appreciate that you have the power to be part of something so enormous and wonderful with comparatively so little effort in return for what you take away for the rest of your life. Welcome home.

Take good care!
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking