Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First Time in Yosemite

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First Time in Yosemite

Postby Bobby Explores » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Hello, Everyone!

I'm currently planning a trip to Yosemite for the first time. I will be going with one other person, so two people in my party. I'm interested in the Half Dome portion (of course) but I'm also considering a trailhead that will take me there. Currently, I'm interested in trailhead 3A (Glacier Point to Little Yosemite Valley). However, I'm also interested in the Half Dome Day Hike via The Mist Trail. Naturally, I would prefer to do the Half Dome Day Hike - which leaves me with a few questions. Since time is of the essence, in order to fit my time window (any date between July 5th - July 7th) I have to submit my 24 week in advance application very soon! I understand that the Half Dome Day Hike lottery won't start until March but I want to submit an application for both so I can choose between which one I want to do.

1.) If I fill out a wilderness permit for the Trailhead 3A using my partners name, will I be able to apply for the Half Dome Day Hike using my name?
2.) What will happen if my parter decides that she can't come along - will I be able to cancel her being in my party, or will it terminate my entire permit?
3.) I have been looking at staying in Curry Village - does it offer traditional tent camping without permits? I ask because I will have to be there a night before in order to complete the hike the next day.

Thanks for any help!
Bobby Explores
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:34 am

1. No. They are the same permit. You do not get a permit for day hiking with a wilderness permit. There is a check box on the wilderness permit which will be in one name.
2. You take her off when you pick up the permit, if you have to.
3. You can use the backpacker camp for five dollars a person. Curry is tent cabins, rooms, and condos. The nearby campgrounds you can use your own tent. Backpacker camp is walk in, no reservations, must have a wilderness permit - you can use it the night before and the night after your itinerary starts and ends.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Central Valley California

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:38 am

A couple of things,.

1. You can apply for a permit in your name, and you can either cancel that permit or use it once you get it. (You don't actually receive the permit--you have to pick it up at the park the day or the day before, your hike. So if you don't pick it up, those spots will probably be given to someone who asks for a walk-in permit.)

2. Your girlfriend can also apply for a permit during the same time as you permit. Same rules apply. You cannot collect a permit for your girlfriend. Them's the rules. You might be able to talk a ranger into that with a good story. Good luck.

3. Curry Village is tent cabins that rent out. There are some campsites in the campgrounds that are first come first served. But they go very quickly every morning. However, with a backpacking permit in hand, you can camp in the backpacker's campground in the Valley for one night before your trip, and one night after your trip.

4. You didn't ask, but 16 miles round trip with 5,000 feet of elevation gain is no joke. So I don't think that it's natural that you'd prefer to do that as a day hike. You don't say where you are driving from, but the combination of the miles the climb and the altitude make that a tough day hike. And if you girlfriend isn't as motivated as you, she may not enjoy the hike. She may not like you by the end of it.

And while I know Half Dome is the big icon in Yosemite, Cloud's Rest is a better hike, a couple of miles shorter, less climbing, and a much better view. When you get to Cloud' Rest, you'll be looking DOWN on the people on top of Half Dome...

Just sayin...
Check out our website and blog at: http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:51 am
Location: Napa CA

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby Bobby Explores » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:34 pm

balzaccom wrote:A couple of things,.

1. You can apply for a permit in your name, and you can either cancel that permit or use it once you get it. (You don't actually receive the permit--you have to pick it up at the park the day or the day before, your hike. So if you don't pick it up, those spots will probably be given to someone who asks for a walk-in permit.)

2. Your girlfriend can also apply for a permit during the same time as you permit. Same rules apply. You cannot collect a permit for your girlfriend. Them's the rules. You might be able to talk a ranger into that with a good story. Good luck.

3. Curry Village is tent cabins that rent out. There are some campsites in the campgrounds that are first come first served. But they go very quickly every morning. However, with a backpacking permit in hand, you can camp in the backpacker's campground in the Valley for one night before your trip, and one night after your trip.

4. You didn't ask, but 16 miles round trip with 5,000 feet of elevation gain is no joke. So I don't think that it's natural that you'd prefer to do that as a day hike. You don't say where you are driving from, but the combination of the miles the climb and the altitude make that a tough day hike. And if you girlfriend isn't as motivated as you, she may not enjoy the hike. She may not like you by the end of it.

And while I know Half Dome is the big icon in Yosemite, Cloud's Rest is a better hike, a couple of miles shorter, less climbing, and a much better view. When you get to Cloud' Rest, you'll be looking DOWN on the people on top of Half Dome...

Just sayin...


Is there a Trailhead you'd recommend? I'd like there to be some elevation gain. Cloud's Rest definitely doesn't look too shabby. Too add, my partner is actually my sister, she already hates me!
Bobby Explores
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby Phil » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:11 am

Cloud's Rest definitely doesn't look too shabby.


It's not too shabby at all. Go Sunrise trailhead from Tenaya Lake. Camp below the summit somewhere. If you're comfortable with it, head cross-country from the descent of Cloud's Rest over to Half Dome (it's not a re-climb, and it's hard to get lost, but yes, you still need the permit). You can stay at LYV on the way back down the second night if you need to.

Too add, my partner is actually my sister, she already hates me!


Now that's funny! The 'don't overdo it for her or she might not like you very much after the hike' rule applies doubly in that case. Don't get between her and any cliffs.....
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:02 am
Location: Healdsburg, Ca

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby Bobby Explores » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:05 pm

Phil, I'm slightly confused on the whole concept of the trailheads. I understand that you need an entry trail AND an exit trail. Are you able to take the same route backwards as your exit trail? My biggest area of concern is exactly how I'm supposed to map everything out. I actually called one of the rangers at Yosemite and even he seemed to be a little confused! He said "yeah, it can get pretty confusing" in a chuckled response. Are referring to "Sunrise Lake" in the "Tuolumne Meadows Trailhead"? I'm assuming there's signage to help guide along the way?
Bobby Explores
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:07 pm

Bobby Explores wrote:Phil, I'm slightly confused on the whole concept of the trailheads. I understand that you need an entry trail AND an exit trail. Are you able to take the same route backwards as your exit trail? My biggest area of concern is exactly how I'm supposed to map everything out. I actually called one of the rangers at Yosemite and even he seemed to be a little confused! He said "yeah, it can get pretty confusing" in a chuckled response. Are referring to "Sunrise Lake" in the "Tuolumne Meadows Trailhead"? I'm assuming there's signage to help guide along the way?


Yes--you can exit your entry trailhead. And the rangers do give you a certain amount of leeway once you start your hike at the trailhead on your permit. I guess they figure that you, just like everyone else, might change your route based on conditions, weather, and your health...etc. Sunrise Trailhead is actually near the outlet of Tenaya Lake, but on the NPS website that is still consider Tuolumne Meadows....sort of kind of. The dividing line is right at Tenaya Lake. Anything west of the Lake is called Tioga Road. Anything from the lake East is Tuolumne Meadows...

Yes, there is signage. And you should take a good topo map as well, and know how to use it.
Check out our website and blog at: http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:51 am
Location: Napa CA

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby Bobby Explores » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:38 pm

So, if I'm understanding this correctly...

Image

Regarding the image above
• This is the Tuolumne Meadows Trailhead
• Sunrise Lake is a starting point
• The listed areas, are the areas you would be seeing along the way (Sunrise Lakes...3.3 miles | Sunrise High Sierra Camp...5.8 miles etc)

ultimately leading me into Yosemite Valley. If I'm still wrong, I'm sorry! Please let me know.
Bobby Explores
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:44 pm

Bobby Explores wrote:So, if I'm understanding this correctly...

Image

Regarding the image above
• This is the Tuolumne Meadows Trailhead
• Sunrise Lake is a starting point
• The listed areas, are the areas you would be seeing along the way (Sunrise Lakes...3.3 miles | Sunrise High Sierra Camp...5.8 miles etc)

ultimately leading me into Yosemite Valley. If I'm still wrong, I'm sorry! Please let me know.



Sunrise Lakes is the name of the trail. It is A trail in the Tuolumne Meadows area, but it is not AT Tuolumne Meadows. It starts at Sunrise trailhead. Sunrise Lake is a destination along the trail from which the trail gets its name. Whether or not you get to the valley depends on the trail you take from each junction along the way. The places listed are destinations, yes.

Sunrise Lakes trail and the Cathedral Lakes trail connect at some point on the way toward Clouds Rest, so you can use one trailhead as an alternate entry point on your permit app. It's good to have alternates since you may find a lot of competition reserving for those trailheads.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Central Valley California

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby Bobby Explores » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:21 pm

Okay, I understand what you mean!

Image

Based off the map, I'd like to take trail 19 south in order to see Cloud's Rest, I'd then like to see Half Dome, where I would do the cables. Is that how it would work? However, on the map's legend, there is a message stating "hikers may not pass through Yosemite valley on a single wilderness permit". Does that mean I can't exit Tuolumne and enter Yosemite valley if I start at 19? If there's a better way of seeing Cloud's Rest, and doing the cable's, please let me know. Naturally, I want the most logical way to see the best sites, while maintaining a moderate hike. I'd like to make it between a 12 and 20 mile round trip.
Bobby Explores
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:29 pm

If you enter Yosemite Valley in the middle of a backpacking trip, you need a second wilderness permit to continue backpacking. All wilderness permits are for backpacking in the wilderness -- the Valley is not considered a wilderness area. If you get to a trailhead, get on a shuttle or hike in the Valley, and start hiking at another trailhead, you need to have a second permit for that. If you route your trip around the Valley you are fine with a single permit -- it just can't be part of your route to hike in Yosemite Valley. It has to be starting point or destination, not part of the route.

If you start at 19, you are already close to Tuolumne Meadows. 19 is not in Yosemite Valley. To start in Yosemite Valley you need to take Happy Isles 1A or 1B. To start in the Tuolumne area and exit the Valley, you start at 19 and exit 1. The terminology on the permit app is going to be the opposite of what you are saying -- just trying to be clear so you don't confuse the ranger -- starting in the Tuolumne area will be entering the wilderness at 19, and exiting the wilderness at 1, as you enter the Valley, which is not wilderness.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Central Valley California

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:07 am

Um, wow! That got complicated.

Yes, Bobby, Trailhead 19 is the entry I suggested. If you want to go to Yosemite Valley, your exit is Happy Isles (#1A/B). First night camping for permit purposes, Sunrise Lakes. Don't forget to check the box for the Half Dome permit either. Your total mileage, including an excursion to Half Dome is going to be about 20 miles. You need a better map than the website is giving you for planning purposes, and you need it for the trail anyhow, so pick up a Tom Harrison 1:63,360 "Yosemite High Country". You can get it online or somewhere like REI.

The boxed areas on the trailhead maps are basically the NPS's way of determining which permit station has precedence. For example: If I'm entering the park at Big Oak Flat and want to grab a walk-up permit there for a trailhead within the Tuolumne Meadows jurisdiction, they have to call over there to make sure what I want is available. If someone else is standing at the counter in Tuolumne and wants the same thing, thereby reaching the quota for the trailhead, it's theirs. Nothing to get too hung up about.

***And yes, the Sunrise trailhead (#19) is by far the fastest and most efficient way to access Cloud's Rest and then Half Dome.
Last edited by Phil on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:02 am
Location: Healdsburg, Ca

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby Bobby Explores » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:26 am

Phil wrote:Yes, Bobby, Trailhead 19 is the entry I suggested. If you want to go to Yosemite Valley, your exit is Happy Isles (#1A/B). First night camping for permit purposes, Sunrise Lakes. Don't forget to check the box for the Half Dome permit either. Your total mileage, including an excursion to Half Dome is going to be about 20 miles. You need a better map than the website is giving you for planning purposes, and you need it for the trail anyhow, so pick up a Tom Harrison 1:63,360 "Yosemite High Country". You can get it online or somewhere like REI.


Okay, as for my form, which "Happy Isles" do I want for the exit trail? Thank you, everyone, for getting me this far. I need to turn this thing in today, if I'm going to meet my requested dates. Any tips for the form that I should know about? Last thing, can somebody recommend an entry and exit for my 2nd and 3rd choice? I had a heck of a time just figuring out my first choice!

Image
Bobby Explores
Regular
Regular
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:43 am

When listing a trailhead you will be exiting you will simply say happy isles. All of those are different quotas for the same trailhead - quotas only exist for those entering the wilderness. Exit trailhead does not matter, and will not affect your chances of getting a permit- entry th is much more critical because they only allow a certain number of people enter on the trailhead on a particular day. The quota is their way of regulating the number of people in any given destination, so everyone has a wilderness experience.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Central Valley California

Re: First Time in Yosemite

Postby Phil » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:47 am

Happy Isles>LYV. They don't really care where you exit, it's the entry that has the trail quota attached to it. Exit Happy Isles will get it done...flip a coin.

But if you want to get technical and make it fast and easy for your 2nd and 3rd choices:

Try Cathedral Lakes (#21)> Happy Isles (#1B) as your second choice, and then maybe Rafferty Creek/Vogelsang (#24A) > Happy Isles (#1A) as your third.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 899
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:02 am
Location: Healdsburg, Ca

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests