Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First-Come Permits & Early June Backpacking

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: First-Come Permits & Early June Backpacking

Postby Phil » Tue May 03, 2016 4:27 pm

I just wanted to add that I'm sorry I have you all freaked out about crossing Tenaya Creek. In this case, it really is more of a psychological barrier than a really dangerous physical one. You just need to be aware of it, respect what you're doing, and have some idea of how to do it. There really isn't a current that's going to give you more than a sensation of some pressure against your body. You're definitely going to get wet, the water will be cold, and maybe you'll be about up to your waists or thereabouts, but you have four people and there's safety in numbers when it comes to crossing all but the fastest water (which you shouldn't really do anyway). You'll make it across without issues, and it'll be a rush more than a real danger. Take video of when everyone first comes around the bend and sees it, then post it. That kind of stuff is awesome!
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ErinJ86 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Thank you, again, for all the advice, everyone! I am eternally grateful for this knowledgeable community. I've never been on a trip with so many factors that could change up our plans. This forum has been insanely helpful.

Phil, thanks for the reassurance on the creek crossing. I have no plans to change our permit anytime soon. I'll keep watching the webcams and call the ranger station to check out the conditions in a few weeks. We won't change our permit until a week before if needed, but not sooner. Since it's our first Yosemite trip I'd like to have at least some time to scope out a different route if needed. I'm kind of a planner and like to be prepared for it all. As if you couldn't tell.
ErinJ86
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Tue May 03, 2016 9:27 pm

You're more than welcome, Erin.

No matter where you go, be absolutely sure that everyone has enough mosquito repellent to last them, lightweight and loose long sleeve shirts, a wide-brimmed hat, and a head net. Do that and keep your food storage tight, and you guys will have a great trip! Enjoy!
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MadDiver » Sat May 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Heya, From a fellow Minnesota native (currently on the east coast) just an FYI I haven't seen mentioned in this thread - Bear cannister. They are mandatory, can be rented from the wilderness permit office or bring your own. Additionally all the High Sierra Camps have bear boxes so if you're staying at one the first night you can store extras in the boxes and still be legal. Also, If your desired plan pans out, camping just north of Clouds Rest is really nice (NO water though, need to fill before the last climb). Enjoy, I wish I could get back soon :wink:
MadDiver
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sat May 14, 2016 1:56 pm

The ranger issuing the permit will force you to rent a bear can if you do not have one. no can no permit no exception.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ErinJ86 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:39 pm

Thanks for the bear canister reminder. I know we don't need those in MN, but we've already got our rentals in place.
ErinJ86
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking