Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Glacier Point to Clouds Rest with Illilouette permit???

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Glacier Point to Clouds Rest with Illilouette permit???

Postby aaronbmorris13 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:24 pm

So I have a backcountry permit for 6/8-6/10 with the entry trailhead Glacier Point to Illilouette and exit trailhead Happy Isles. I was wondering if i can hike from glacier point to Clouds Rest to camp on my first night instead of camping at Illilouette Creek. I know i would be able to camp at Clouds Rest the second night because after the first night you camp basically camp anywhere in the backcountry. I just wanted to know if I would be able to add some mileage my first day and camp all the way at clouds rest since technically it is beyond the buena vista trailhead from glacier point. Thanks
aaronbmorris13

Re: Glacier Point to Clouds Rest with Illilouette permit???

Postby Phil » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:05 pm

No, per regulations on that specific permit, you have to spend the first night along the Illilouette drainage where it's legal. It's a situation where too many people are using alternate trailheads to access the JMT. So they've gone beyond trailhead quotas to limiting the numbers on the trail itself, and starting this summer, by imposing some trailhead exit quotas in the area.

I get it from a management standpoint, but I just don't understand why anyone would go through so much logistical hassle to become part of the melee when there are so many other wonderful trails throughout the park. Just my opinion, but that's the deal as far as I know it to be.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking