Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Advice on lower elevation BP trip around YNP

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Advice on lower elevation BP trip around YNP

Postby mbaze » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:00 am

First of all, I can't say enough about this forum. It's full of great, helpful information. I relied on it a lot for a trip last year. So thank you all.

I'm looking for a medium elevation (maybe not more than 7,500 feet or so) backpacking trek, 3-4 days, in or around YNP for myself and my teen son. We did Lyell Canyon last year, and although it was spectacular, the elevation got to us a little (I start feeling it around 9,500) and we had to cut the trip short because my son got sick. So I'm searching for something a little lower than Tuolumne, 4-7 miles into the first night's camp, not super strenuous. We have a more strenuous trip planned for late summer, so this would serve as a warm-up of sorts. If we ended up near a lake for fishing, that would be a bonus, but it's not required.

I realize that's not much info, so ask away. And I know that it's late in the permit season. But we can be flexible with dates.

Any and all tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael
mbaze

Re: Advice on lower elevation BP trip around YNP

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:35 am

Hey Michael,

For that duration and staying as low in altitude for most of it as possible, maybe not too hard to get a reserved permit; no question, Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne from White Wolf. You're starting around 7500 feet, dropping to about 4500, then climbing back up to around 8500 when you get up towards Tuolumne Meadows where the trail flattens out considerably for about the last 6 miles past Glen Aulin.

Also, you know, if there's any way to spend a couple days in a higher elevation campground like Tuolumne Meadows or White Wolf itself before you head out, both you and your son should feel a lot better with the altitudes. For most people, if it's going to hit them, it hits them when they get over 8000 feet. Staying almost overly hydrated ahead of time and while hiking helps considerably as well.

Outside YNP, check out Desolation Wilderness. Most of the trail systems throughout the various zones, with a few exceptions for passes and whatnot, stay roughly between 7500-8500 feet.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Advice on lower elevation BP trip around YNP

Postby mbaze » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Phil, I was remiss in not thanking you for your reply. The lure of Tuolumne Meadows was just too great. We ended up going to Young Lakes, but staying in the Meadows for two days first helped tremendously with altitude adjustment, one mellow day hike day and one scramble to the top of Lembert. Anyway, I'll save your suggestion for another time.

Thanks.

Michael
mbaze

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking