Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

South rim trail conditions

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

South rim trail conditions

Postby transponster » Sun May 15, 2016 8:49 am

Next week I'm going to be hiking the south rim (Pohono and Panorama trails) and I'm wondering if anyone has any recent information on trail conditions - snow, crossings, etc.

Also, campsites - I'm leaving from Tunnel View and was thinking about stopping near one of the scenic points (Stanford, Crocker, Dewey) for the first night (I realize I would have to bring water). I plan to exit via the Mist trail, so I was thinking I would spend the 2nd night somewhere in the Illilouette basin (my other option would be LYV but I don't really want to go there). Just wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations for where to camp in these two areas.

Thanks!
transponster
Regular
Regular

Re: South rim trail conditions

Postby Phil » Sun May 15, 2016 12:55 pm

The trails in that area should be mostly, if not completely, free of snow. You can only camp along the Pohono at Bridalveil Creek. Then only beyond the arrowheads on the linked map up in the Illilouette Basin.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/ ... lheads.pdf
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby transponster » Sun May 15, 2016 3:43 pm

I will definitely ask at the permit office, but I've read that camping is allowed west of Bridalveil creek and that this includes the points I mentioned. I get that I have to camp past the arrows, I was just wondering if anyone had any specific tips on favorite campsites.
transponster
Regular
Regular

Postby Bighead » Sun May 15, 2016 4:55 pm

I will be doing a 6 day trip starting at Tunnelview and the Pohono trail. I just spoke with the permit office Friday to confirm a few things and one was camping along Pohono. They told me west of Bridalveil Creek and I asked if this meant near the creek or if I could camp near one of the lookouts as long as I obeyed all the camp site rules. They clarified that I could only camp near Bridalveil creek on the west side not "anywhere" west of Bridalveil Creek.

Hope this helps.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun May 15, 2016 5:33 pm

In Ilillouette you will be instructed to hike off trail to the east for at least two miles. Since everyone gets that instruction there will be use trails and plenty of illegal campsites along the way. If you care about things like regulations and leave no trace, I'm sure you'll do the right thing. It's beautiful out there - don't forget the mosquito countermeasures tho.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun May 15, 2016 8:07 pm

The obvious and overused campsites in Illilouette canyon are the highly impacted and sometimes crowded sites just past the legal two miles. Hike another half mile up the creek and it will be more peaceful..and significantly more natural.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jgaffney » Sat May 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Last year, I hiked the South Rim in August. I had a bigger trip planned to the Buena Vista Crest but all of the backcountry streams were dry. I camped near Dewey and Taft Points, one night each. From Dewey Point, if you head west up the trail toward Crocker Point, in about 1/4 mile, you'll find several cowboy camps off the south side of the trail. I camped in one that had a huge fire ring and several logs arranged for sitting. I don't build fires, so I was kinda underutilizing the area, but I had the place to myself. At Taft Point, I went west about 1/4 mile again, then turned up the hill. I found a level, sandy clearing behind some brush where I was protected from the wind. It was worth it to be all by myself at sundown at the two points. You get great views of the Valley, and you're almost directly across from El Cap.
jgaffney
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking